Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Few From Southern Illinois

Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Spike

you are right local people do like to go as they please, but the people around our area respect our ground because of our managment ways. It helps them out. The main problem we have been having is with people from out of state or from up north, this has been going on for the last 6 years, 2 of these guys have lost there hunting rights for the next 5 years, they where both from up around joliet area, the one from out of state is not allowed to hunt in the state of Ill, he is the one who killed 3 deer off the ground, I didnt catch him but the owner of the proporty next to us did. DNR took all 3 of those deer.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
That 2nd buck is outstanding! One of the states finest bowkilled typicals! Congrats to that lucky sportsman!
yeah...he is a brute..he also killed another ill try to get a picture of next time im out there. he scored 176..one of those families that kills big deer year in year out
Old 09-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Hey kateraxl are you from Flora or what town in Clay County. I went to Lake Land for 2 years and have a few friends from down around that area. My g/fs uncles farm around that area to in edgewood. Im a little further south than clay county though.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Down&OutHunting
Hey kateraxl are you from Flora or what town in Clay County. I went to Lake Land for 2 years and have a few friends from down around that area. My g/fs uncles farm around that area to in edgewood. Im a little further south than clay county though.
yessir..born and raised..im goin to school now at EIU..so im gunna be huntin some coles county bucks this year..how much farther south r u
Old 09-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Spike

those are some nice deer there good work man
Old 09-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Pinckneyville...its probably a little over an hour. I live an hour from Salem.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

im in so il too little town called aviston bout 5 miles west of breese or 15 minutes west of Carlyle in clinton county when people think of deer in so il they think about the kind here in clinton co. not enough woods best huntin is on public land around carlyle lake
Old 09-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, Welcome Funky Money to the site. You should have fun on here!

I hear you guys about the Poaching. The land that I hunted on last year is a very large piece as well. There is a guy who patrols in everyday as well as the DNR and they have to stay on there toes to watch out for the poachers. We ALWAYS have to have our permission slip on us even know we know the guy who patrols it and the DNR. Nothing worse than trespassers and poachers.

I agree with Uncle Matt with there are a lot of the trespasser are local. They know the land and where the land owner will be therefor can hunt it, or should I say trespass and poach on it. Last years land they found many treestand deep in the backwoods where they thought people would try to hunt from the neighboring towns and people could get in and out without being seen. The funny thing is a few stands were in groups of two like they were filming a hunting show. Also, I didn't see them but opening day right near dusk, the DNR spooted 2 guys coming off the land in all black with rifles. As soon as he spotted them they were running. There was no truck parked anywhere near by so they knew they were local. Im not saying there aren't any upstaters that go down there and trespass, but for someone from Chicago to drive 6 hrs to hunt without having a place is insane. People who do that need to be shot on sight! Funky Monkey, no matter what that does suck about those deer being poached. I would have been pissed as sh*t! All Northerns are not like that m(especially me). Id rather have a hunt ruined on public land everyday Im in the woods than trespass on someones land to hunt.

Uncle Matt, It was good to see that Marion was growing. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn and I'll tell you what, that New ball park is nice. Good to see it hasn't struggled like it seems Carrier Mills and Harrisburg did.

CO seemed like it got a decent amount of pressure, but when I was rabbit and quail hunting a 1/2 mile of so off the road, we sure did run into some nice bucks! I could have spot and stalked some monsters there if I could have used my .270. I ran into a bow hunter in his stand here and there. I'd always back out slowly and if I saw them later on at dusk, if they were polite to me, I'd give them the inside scoop on where I have jumped some big bucks. One guy was super nice, told him of a spot off 13 near Caterville where I had been seeing a heavy 10 a couple times, sure enough I saw him the next year and he nailed that SOB with his bow!

I'll have to look into Johnson County. They just released the last permit results and my buddy and I were thinking that we'd just apply for Johnson, Saline or Williamson and do our research and find some public land. If we don't make it down there we are only out $30 so its not a huge deal. I would never ask for any specific locations but if you think one part of Johnson Co. (North, east, etc) is better for public I wouldn't mind the help. PM if you want.

Good luck to all this season, I hope to see some great pics!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Funky Monkey, Didn't read the last page of posts. Good to see you caught those poachers, sounds like they were a big menace. As least you got them though, a lot of people never get the satisfaction! Two were from Joliet though, that explains a lot!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:44 AM
Typical Buck

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.