Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Moderator or administrator-Can we do this? >

Moderator or administrator-Can we do this?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moderator or administrator-Can we do this?

Old 09-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by livinadream
im in, i love the idea i think we should throw weather into the equation also ie. front coming in, front leaving, overcast, raining etc. i think we could all learn and benefit from something like this. i will be of little help putting it together though as i am not computer savvy
good idea man-i think adding wether its a rising,falling or steady barometer would be a great idea!!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rh160kid
We need to get feedback from the serious hunters on here and see if there is enough interest to make it worthwhile. Maybe a mod could also tell us if this is possible or what they think of the idea!!
RH160,
I like the way you think!
My dad has always taught me to hunt by the moon. We are Native American, and that is how it has always been done with us( my grandfather taught him and so on etc...)

Anyway, I think everyone who don't think in this way needs to, it WORKS!
Count me in !!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

I think if we set this thing up in a survey format that would be the best way to go. I was thinking of having the following categories, each with a minor and major activity option: rubbing,scraping,seeking,chasing, and breeding-that about covers it. Then a barometer category with steady, rising and falling options. We can already have the date and moon phase listed on the survey page for each day. The only other option would be for location. i would go with a north or south of a certain latitude line (i suggest the 35th latitude). Most surveys or books ive read on the topics of rut/moon correlation base there findings on north or south of this line. This is necessary because obviously the rut occurs later in the south than the north (for the most part). If we just had a poll where everyone from all over posted the info would be erratic. therefore at the end we could have info for guys that hunt the northern and southern U.S. I think this is a really simple idea that could be fun and very useful this year and years to come. We just need input to see how much interest there is. Speak up guys.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Myself and three buddies around the Attica, Warsaw area of NY, back in the mid '70's to early 80's did JUST what your proposing. We kept VERY detailed record of all the categories you suggest, for about a 8 yr. period. There is NO DOUBT the effect moon/barom/temp/sunlight have on deer, their movement or lack thereof. Much of our findings coincide with the research done By Alshiemer and Kroll, particularly regarding rut activity.

Very tedious undertaking. Have fun with it.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

I spend a lot of time in the woods. I'm game. I watch moon phases, weather fronts, etc. I would be willing to log my observations.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by crokit
Myself and three buddies around the Attica, Warsaw area of NY, back in the mid '70's to early 80's did JUST what your proposing. We kept VERY detailed record of all the categories you suggest, for about a 8 yr. period. There is NO DOUBT the effect moon/barom/temp/sunlight have on deer, their movement or lack thereof. Much of our findings coincide with the research done By Alshiemer and Kroll, particularly regarding rut activity.

Very tedious undertaking. Have fun with it.
I was trying to make it as simple as possible. Thats why i think the survey method could work. Each member logs on after his day of hunting. clicks on the activity description he is seeing that day, a barometer choice, and a location latitude choice. thats it. You dont have to hunt every day to do it. It would just be nice to have a bunch of guys who spend alot of time hunting to get as much data/info as possible. If their is not alot of interest-the guys who are can still get together and make a thread to log their info. Hopefully this works out and we can get something goin.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

Can one of us try and set up a mock poll. I cant figure out how to post one on here.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TheMiz54
Can one of us try and set up a mock poll. I cant figure out how to post one on here.
im not sure exactly how to do it either-need help from a mod.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

im new to this, but i agree that this would be awesome to do. i would definitly give my input on the chart everyday i get to hunt. I also think we need a mod to help us out or point us in the right direction as far as making this known to alot of hunters. maybe evn edit the title of this forum to get more people to look. or change it to "hey mods, read me". lol i like the excel idea a lot though.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

I'm certainly all for it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.