Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
need some tips on how to hunt on the ground using a bow without a blind >

need some tips on how to hunt on the ground using a bow without a blind

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need some tips on how to hunt on the ground using a bow without a blind

Old 09-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default need some tips on how to hunt on the ground using a bow without a blind

my plan is to sit on top of the hill behind trees/brushes looking down where i expect to see the deer to come in...

anymore tips would be great! thanks
Old 09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

try to gather a little brush to help hide yourself!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

since you are hunting on the ground it is critical you hunt with the correct wind direction.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will be tough without adding some brush cover. Step off a distance you would be comfortable shooting and try to find a tree you can sit or stand behind and add some brush for additional cover. Have a spot on either side of the trail so you can change according to the wind.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Spike

Listen to these guy's. They offer good advice.

Another thing I'd like to add is that you DO want to be seen by other hunters. You never know who else is out there with you, and other hunters will be on the lookout for the same telltale movements you’re putting out while you’re out there stalking.

Even if you’re on a few hundred acres of private land and no one else has permission to be there, you do NOT want to skip the orange gear. Not every hunter follows the rules, and not every hunter waits for an ethical shot (in this case, one where he knows for sure what he’s aiming for).
Old 09-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by isatarak
It will be tough without adding some brush cover. Step off a distance you would be comfortable shooting and try to find a tree you can sit or stand behind and add some brush for additional cover. Have a spot on either side of the trail so you can change according to the wind.
This is good advise as well as rh160kid's advice of watching the wind. Where are you hunting? what is the terrain like. is it all woods or is there open fields/food plots?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sit with your back to the sun.

Wait till the deer passes you a bit before you draw.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 09-09-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have taken most my deer from ground sits w/o a blind. Find a tree big enough to break your outline - wider then your shoulders. Make sure you rake the ground a few feet where your going to sit. I have spooked a few deer by not clearing a large enough area around me on the ground and accidently made some noise with branches/leaves when preparing for a shot. Setup on a semiangle where you can watch where you expect the deer, preferably angle your left shoulder facing the direction of where there going to be passing you from (if your right handed).
Old 09-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Spike

Make sure whether you are sitting on the ground or in a chair that you are in a comfortable position to draw and shoot your bow, you may want to practice that before hand.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

It's very tough but make sure your concealed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.