Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Why are Deer bigger in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Texas??? >

Why are Deer bigger in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Texas???

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why are Deer bigger in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Texas???

Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Low-fence, high-fence...what's with all the fences in Texas?
They've got fences up north too... although moreso of the "low" variety.

You guys should build one along the Mexican border. A high fence.
I'm all for that...

How much does it cost to put a high fence around, say 10,000 acres???
I believe the going rate is around $20,000 to $25,000 per mile. 10,000 acres is about 15 square miles, so, let's round down a bit and say 5 miles by 3 miles, that's 16 miles of fence, at $20K per, is about $320,000...
Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Low-fence, high-fence...what's with all the fences in Texas?

You guys should build one along the Mexican border. A high fence.

How much does it cost to put a high fence around, say 10,000 acres???

No kidding! If every landowner in Texas gave up 10 feet of their deer fences to put along the Mexican border you would have the illegal immigrant problem solved in this country!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Spike

Not trying to insult anybody. But we don't need a fence to grow a big deer. That strategy basically means that you captivate deer, breed them within your confines, feed them your feed, then kill them to hang on the wall. Again just my opinion but that sounds more like farming rather than hunting.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rh160kid
yes deer are bigger there cuz of better soil and quality food in the midwest. The real reason they are bigger is because they are allowed to grow up. Short gun seasons and gun seasons not directly in the peak of the rut allow bucks to grow up and reach maturity. If they are not allowed to grow up they cant get big!!! no matter how much food there is and how good the soil is. This ones common sense boys!!
My thoughts exactly...a mix of the two. They can't get big without quality food sources, but they also can't get big if they are killed before they mature.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DCFD3512
Not trying to insult anybody. But we don't need a fence to grow a big deer. That strategy basically means that you captivate deer, breed them within your confines, feed them your feed, then kill them to hang on the wall. Again just my opinion but that sounds more like farming rather than hunting.
I don't think anyone has said that they "need a fence to grow big deer."
Old 09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Everything everyone is mentioning are ALL factors as to why midwestern deer are bigger. (abundant food, mineral rich soils, lower hunting pressure, better management practices, shorter gun seasons, better genetics) ALL THESE ARE TRUE!! The debate now is which is the most important. But first i think people interpreted the original question differently. Are we talking rack size, body size, both. etc. Are the animals in the different areas we are comparing them to the same ages? IMO if we are comparing a buck (or doe for that matter) that are the same ages from the midwest and anywhere else the mineral rich soil is the key along with ABUNDANT food in bigger body and rack size. That being said better management practices, short gun seasons, lower hunter #s, etc. enable deer in the midwest to grow up and reach maturity. This does not happen in most other areas. So therefore if allowed to grow older obviously the deer are bigger there!! No matter how rich the soil and how much food there is if someone shoots a buck at 1.5 he cant get big!! The question has multiple right answers-it just depends on how you are interpreting the question. Imo genetics is the least of all influences here no matter how you look at it. A genetically superior buck with poor nutrition will not equal a genetically inferior buck with great nutrition. Thats a fact!!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

is about $320,000...
Wow. That cost more than my house.

I think I'll keep letting my neighbors shoot my deer. Maybe I can shoot one of theirs some day, too.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

better nutrition = bigger deer
Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Can't believe the bickering about this.
True, but at least it's been civil with no name calling. Many other sites and forums can't say the same thing.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

The No.1 county in the country for big bucks (P-Y and BC) is Buffalo County Wi. Why? Mostly private land ,good genetics and folks just don't shoot too many small deer. Very Hilly and deer have a chance to age,of course good genetic's
Redclub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.