HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   any tips for taking a child for the first time? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/302900-any-tips-taking-child-first-time.html)

09_bobcat 09-07-2009 05:23 PM

any tips for taking a child for the first time?

im 23 yrs old and my girlfriends little boy is 5. weve been together for 2 yrs now and he is interested in everything i do. I team rope, he wants to as well, so he warms up my horse. He wants to hunt so i want to take him. i just wonder what i should do to entertain him when there is nothing going on? as all 5 yr olds ive been around are, he has the attention span of a fruit fly. hes always asking questions which is awesome and i hope he has fun. any tips for making this worth his while? dont want him to be bored and not want to go hunting again. that would kill me cuz hunting is my life outside of family!

sachiko 09-07-2009 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by 09_bobcat (Post 3433093)
im 23 yrs old and my girlfriends little boy is 5. weve been together for 2 yrs now and he is interested in everything i do. I team rope, he wants to as well, so he warms up my horse. He wants to hunt so i want to take him. i just wonder what i should do to entertain him when there is nothing going on? as all 5 yr olds ive been around are, he has the attention span of a fruit fly. hes always asking questions which is awesome and i hope he has fun. any tips for making this worth his while? dont want him to be bored and not want to go hunting again. that would kill me cuz hunting is my life outside of family!

Miriam will be two in October. We won't take her hunting for the reasons you mention. But we do take her scouting for deer sign. She loves it and when she gets tired, daddy puts her in his baby carrier pack and carries her. She knows that she can't do everything we do but has to learn. She goes to the range with us and admires the holes we make in the targets, but she knows she isn't old enough to shoot yet.

:sheep: May The Sheep Be With You

WIbuckchaser 09-07-2009 05:53 PM

If you are sitting I suggest a ground blind. Make it a short hunt. Two hours is about all he'll be able to take. A food plot or an oak ridge is always good this time of year. At least in the woods you are likely to see birds and squirrels if nothing else. Be sure you point out every moving thing you see. Getting a shot at an animal really gets them going.

09_bobcat 09-07-2009 05:53 PM

haha good call, so should i include him in everything except the stand to build his enthusiasm until he has the attention span? he loves watching them and seeing the pics, and of coarse riding the four wheelers.

FlDeerman 09-07-2009 06:25 PM

If he wants to carry a shotgun or something,let him without bullets or shells.You can teach them safety real quick.I'd make the hunts short then go walk around and show him things in the woods.It's a lot of work to keep them interested.

jrbsr 09-07-2009 06:28 PM

My uncle took me when I was 6 years old.
He let me carry a bb gun.
He had a 22, he would shoot a squirrel, and have me point at it like I shot it.
It was cool.

At least he wants to go.
What ever you do wear ear plugs, or over the ear protection, and be carefull.
Espeasly his ears.

rh160kid 09-07-2009 06:36 PM

I agree with the ground blind suggestion. Bring snacks and drinks. Bring something to keep him occupied-coloring books,toys,video game etc. You have to make it fun. keep it short. If he wants to go at any time( even if its 10min. after you get there) You need to go. Making him stay longer than he wants is a sure fire way to turn him off to hunting. Have fun with it and enjoy these times cuz they dont last long!! GL

OhioSlayer 09-07-2009 07:27 PM

I have a 7 year old son that I take hunting for the last 2 years. I got a two man blind that way he can move around and not scare anything off. He has the fever just like his daddy thats for sure. I make sure I also point anything and everything out to him and explain it in every detail. Taking him scouting is the best way to get him into it. Let him think on his own. Point something out and ask what he thinks about it. I ask my boy all the time whats going on out in the woods and if he notices anything. Even if I see something I'll ask him and hope for him to point it out and make him think he's the man. Its awesome.

09_bobcat 09-07-2009 07:39 PM

this all sounds awesome. i appreciate your help. i never thought i would be in this situation but i love it! thank yall so much for the help!

jasonvanorder 09-08-2009 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by jrbsr (Post 3433192)
At least he wants to go.
What ever you do wear ear plugs, or over the ear protection, and be carefull.
Espeasly his ears.

Huh? Could you Speak up i can't hear you:) You really need to protech his ears. I wish I would have when I was younger but now at 27 I really have a hard time hearing someone just 3 feet away.