HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   bout shooting a doe (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/302877-bout-shooting-doe.html)

killzonearchery 09-07-2009 02:04 PM

bout shooting a doe

would u shot a doe if it had 2 spoted fawns or a yearling with it? I had the oppetunity this weekend to shot a big doe, but it had its fawns and i could not make myself shot her.

leadoperator 09-07-2009 02:18 PM

I would not hesitate to take a mature doe out of the herd.

killzonearchery 09-07-2009 02:20 PM

so even tho it had 2 spoted fawns u would still take the doe

Bowman4440 09-07-2009 02:31 PM

I think i remember hearing one time that another doe will "adopt" the fawns if not old enough to live on their own. But im not 100% on that.

mfd1027 09-07-2009 02:43 PM

I draw the line if i can tell whether the fawns are still nursing or not and most of the time if they have spots they are. i have trouble accepting that adoption theory.

Dan

Valentine 09-07-2009 02:49 PM

I saw a doe and two fawns today

They were all in a dark brown color, with no spots. The doe was so small, it would not be worth the cost of butchering nor doing the job myself, unless I was starving.

That's where I would draw the line.

BOWHUNTER818 09-07-2009 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by mfd1027 (Post 3432893)
I draw the line if i can tell whether the fawns are still nursing or not and most of the time if they have spots they are. i have trouble accepting that adoption theory.

Dan

Well said that My opinion as well..its all a kind of spur of the moment kind of thing and what that particular hunter thinks..

-NICK

razor6570 09-07-2009 02:56 PM

Well said Valentine & bowhunter818. I agree with both of you. It all comes down to the individual hunter. It is their choice!

rh160kid 09-07-2009 03:11 PM

Just because fawns still have spots doesnt necessarily mean that they have not been weened off by the mother. And it definitely does not mean they are not capable of surviving on their own yet. Its september and unless those fawns were born extremely late they should be more than capable of making it on their own by now. If they were born late they very possibly will have trouble makin it through winter. (that is if you are somewhere where there is snowy winters). Each persons concious is different in cases like this. Imo the fawns ability to survive without mommy by this time is not an issue tho.

early in 09-07-2009 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by rh160kid (Post 3432945)
Just because fawns still have spots doesnt necessarily mean that they have not been weened off by the mother. And it definitely does not mean they are not capable of surviving on their own yet. Its september and unless those fawns were born extremely late they should be more than capable of making it on their own by now. If they were born late they very possibly will have trouble makin it through winter. (that is if you are somewhere where there is snowy winters). Each persons concious is different in cases like this. Imo the fawns ability to survive without mommy by this time is not an issue tho.

Very true. I won't think twice about it.:barmy: