Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bout shooting a doe

Old 09-11-2009, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

If you live in a area with lots of wolves,bears coyotes ,bobcats and hard winters.Those fawns will have zero chance of survival. Just look at Northern Wi. Very few fawns survived the last 2 years now deer are way below goal in a lot of areas, Some places deer are down to 8 per sq.mile. Thats 1/2 deer per 40 acres. You still want to shoot the mama. A lot better off shooting the fawns.
Redclub
Old 09-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

ive seen many times that the doe gets shot and later in the season the fawns will get shot in that same area, i did it once shot the doe with bow then had two different kids shoot a fawn each out of the same stand later in rifle. they were full of food and seemed to be doing fine. As far as winter id say they would have been fine, predators, who knows even with the mother they are at risk, im from maine and we have plenty of both they normally come through it Id shoot her
Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldnt shoot the fawns myself but the kids were hooked after so something good did come of it
Old 09-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

done it once never again. had to chase the fawns away after mama dropped then again as i was gutting her,they just would not leave.
so i personally will not dont care if anyone else does,its just not for me like i wont shoot at a walking deer always gut shot them so that shot is out no matter buck or doe.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

i shot a bull moose that was with a cow and cow did the same thing came back twice both adults. would i never shoot another bull? not to instigate but just another way to look at it
Old 09-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, no.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Spike

I have had that chance one more than one ocasion . I have never shot a doe with even one small fawn . Yearlings are different .
Old 09-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the previous posts regarding personal choice. I can only say that I did it a few times, but the one time changed my mindset, so I tend not to do it. The time that stays in my brain, involved a similar situation. I took a big doe with two small fawns and as I was retrieving her, the two small fawns kept coming back, looking and calling for her. Honestly, probably the worst that has happended to me in the field. The sight of those fawns looking for her was/is an image that still plays in my mind. Again, this may never happen to anyone or has happened to someone. It may not bother some, but it was enough to make me look at the situation differently. I guess it is personal choice/standards and I dont't know if there is a right/wrong way of looking at it..

Stay Safe...

KC
Old 09-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the fawns are the color of the doe,even with spots-shoot.If they're reddish in color then they're still nursing.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Well you guys helped aid the decision I had to make tonight. Two fawns and Ma.....they all still walk. I didn't have the guts!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.