Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bout shooting a doe

Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

doe down in my woods
great table fair.

i have killed several does that has had yearlings with her. i did so last year and i would do it again if givin the chance.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

i have killed several does that has had yearlings with her.
Yearlings? Or....fawns?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

i would shoot the doe....
Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

c what u guys might not be relizing is that these were SPOTTED FAWNS with her. Im sry i am super glad that i did no shot her now .
Old 09-09-2009, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by killzonearchery
c what u guys might not be relizing is that these were SPOTTED FAWNS with her. Im sry i am super glad that i did no shot her now .
I am very glad that you are happy with your decision. That is your choice. If I get in that same situation this Saturday I will take out the doe without a second thought even with spotted fawns. They will be fine on thier own. That would be my choice and I would hope that all would respect that. Your hunt YOUR choice.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

I nmy area, fawns are usually just about spotless by the time archery season starts and I'm pretty sure they are probably weaned. Had I the opportunity, then yes. But the yearlings are just as tasty if not better than an old doe.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Just for clarification (for this thread).

Fawn = this year's deer.....born a few months ago.

Yearling = any deer born LAST year.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I drew the line for myself that I'd take a doe with fawns if they didn't have any spots. It probably doesn't make a difference, but for a shoot/dont shoot decision thats my self imposed guideline.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

if they did nto have spots that doe would have been down
Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went for many years without even shooting Does after I had many Whitetails to my credit. Many years we were allowed only ONE DEER per YEAR either sex & then you were done. Old School from the 50s was Don't shoot any Does to let you have more Deer to hunt.
Anyway-once the Bonus tags & extra tags started a few years ago-I started shooting Does-Mature OLD ones from what I could tell. I still do not shoot a Doe IF I think it's this years fawn-If it's a yearling, I will shoot her but let a yearling walk. I'm sure any fawn in our area would survive just fine-it is just my personal choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.