HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Scouting Help Topo/Aerial (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/302820-scouting-help-topo-aerial.html)

Doc Buck 09-06-2009 08:41 PM

Scouting Help Topo/Aerial

2 Attachment(s)
I am hunting this piece of property, about 200 Acres. There is a winding stream that runs N/S and E/W through the property as can be seen on the topo. The cleared out areas were not farmed this year for the first time in many years and have been allowed to grow up. Any thoughts on several areas to consider for stand sites? I am planning on doing some scouting this coming weekend. I am fairly new to deer hunting and any help would be great! Thanks!

jrbsr 09-06-2009 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Buck (Post 3432291)
I am hunting this piece of property, about 200 Acres. There is a winding stream that runs N/S and E/W through the property as can be seen on the topo. The cleared out areas were not farmed this year for the first time in many years and have been allowed to grow up. Any thoughts on several areas to consider for stand sites? I am planning on doing some scouting this coming weekend. I am fairly new to deer hunting and any help would be great! Thanks!

Look for where the deer cross the stream, and set up about 40 yards from there, down wind.

Good Luck

PSEposter19 09-07-2009 03:29 AM

I have always had great luck near the water source has to most likely be crossed or met by the deer on their way to the food source, or to their bedding areas. I learned a funny thing that kind of helps me scout property, it is like water or electricity find the least path for resistance, and there you find what you are looking for. I have a buddy that said in a fence row he actually cut open a section for his conveinience and in and out of the woods and after he saw who had used that same opening. The deer used it as well instead of jumping the fence they would just walk through. Now of course not all of the deer but at least the lazy ones. Give it a try could not hurt. Good luck.

timbercruiser 09-07-2009 04:47 AM

On the west boundary line it looks like either a road or a power line runs N/S. I would look for trails crossing it going to the agriculture fields on the contiguous property. Having an access route from the south to your stand site would probably help with the usual prevailing northerly wind.

Doc Buck 09-07-2009 04:55 AM

You are right. There is an abandoned raailroad track we use for entry from the north and south and I have seen lots of action across it. This is one area I plan to scout hard.

I will also check out the creek crossings. Another good idea.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

#1Predator 09-07-2009 04:20 PM

Looks like a small patch of woods in between the big and small fields,
that where I would set up for a evening hunt(catch them coming into the fields)and it's a "choke" deer seldom like being exposed going from one patch of woods to the other. And 1/2 way down on a south east ridge line for the morning hunts.Reason being is that it's the first to warm up on a cold winter day, and the north wind is at their backs so they can smell what they can't see in the morning daylight.IMO

WIbuckchaser 09-07-2009 06:22 PM

I like the fencerow about middle of pic. Where I can look Northwest and cover that field and South to cover the other field. I always like to keep an eye on those little fields tucked back in also. If there's cover next to those little fields those bucks like them, they feel safe.

Doc Buck 09-09-2009 07:18 PM

Great ideas. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Doc Buck 10-07-2009 04:20 PM

Just wanted to bump this post. Any other thoughts would be helpful.