HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   what on earth happened (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/302621-what-earth-happened.html)

bucksniper14 09-04-2009 04:58 PM

what on earth happened

ok so i have to trail cams out on an 80 acres of crp land one is out in the middle of the field one is in a clump of trees. so anyway last week i checked them and i have about 7 different deer on them then today i checked them and not a single picture on either of them. what do you think happened. o i forgot to mention one camera is over a apple and corn pile the other is over a food plot

Edcyclopedia 09-04-2009 05:07 PM

You probably stunk it up running in and out of there...???
Cameras are a great tool and fun, just be wary of ruining your spots by leaving your scent. It's a real fast education for deer, especially the mature deer!!! I have noticed on numerous occasions of getting a decent buck on my cameras and never getting another pic, he went bye-bye!!!

iowabuckslayer 09-04-2009 05:12 PM

your deer may have moved to a new food source. Also what the previous poster said. To much food for the deer to have to go somewhere that YOU have been.:busted:

isnip3you 09-04-2009 06:19 PM

I don't know where you live or anything but i've was getting a alot of pictures of some big bucks. Then all of a sudden no big ones. However in my area the food is changing and their habits are too. For example tonight i went spotting and seen a lot of deer. However they were in a different section of woods than i normally see them. I go and check my cameras twice a week but when i check the cameras you see me than an hour later deer so...

timbercruiser 09-04-2009 06:34 PM

I don't like to visit the cameras but every two weeks, and then I'll usually move them. With the digitals they will hold two thousand plus pictures and that is usually plenty for two weeks and the batteries will last plenty long enough.

isatarak 09-04-2009 09:18 PM

When I have a camera out, I usually check it about every other day. I haven't had much trouble with deer not visiting them because most of the pictures are at night. I do usually wear rubber boots, though. More than likely the deer have just changed their pattern or moved to another food source.

rh160kid 09-05-2009 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Edcyclopedia (Post 3430640)
You probably stunk it up running in and out of there...???
Cameras are a great tool and fun, just be wary of ruining your spots by leaving your scent. It's a real fast education for deer, especially the mature deer!!! I have noticed on numerous occasions of getting a decent buck on my cameras and never getting another pic, he went bye-bye!!!

very true!! amazing how some of the most scent concious hunters take no scent precautions when checkin there cameras!!

Originally Posted by iowabuckslayer (Post 3430650)
your deer may have moved to a new food source. Also what the previous poster said. To much food for the deer to have to go somewhere that YOU have been.:busted:

I would bet if acorns are falling, iowabuckslayer is on the money with his post.

wis_bow_huntr 09-05-2009 05:58 AM

Same thing happend to me. I was getting 70-100 pics a day and this week it dropped right off...Im thinking the deer are changing patterns and the bucks are getting into their bachelor groups. They seem to be sheding velvet a little more now. The foilage is already turning here but the acorns havent really started to fall yet. Their feeding patterns are starting to change. My cornfields are being hammered. The deer are pulling ears off, eating a bit and leaving the rest of the ears on the ground for the coons and turkeys to pick at. I cant wait till next weekend!! Hunting in my favorite stand overlooking one of my big cornfields bordering the woods. Hopefully Ill get a chance at a velvet buck. I dont care how big it is or small it is antler wise, Ive always wanted a velvet buck to put on the wall.

rh160kid 09-05-2009 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr (Post 3431015)
Same thing happend to me. I was getting 70-100 pics a day and this week it dropped right off...Im thinking the deer are changing patterns and the bucks are getting into their bachelor groups. They seem to be sheding velvet a little more now. The foilage is already turning here but the acorns havent really started to fall yet. Their feeding patterns are starting to change. My cornfields are being hammered. The deer are pulling ears off, eating a bit and leaving the rest of the ears on the ground for the coons and turkeys to pick at. I cant wait till next weekend!! Hunting in my favorite stand overlooking one of my big cornfields bordering the woods. Hopefully Ill get a chance at a velvet buck. I dont care how big it is or small it is antler wise, Ive always wanted a velvet buck to put on the wall.

you mean getting out of their bachelor groups-dont you? GL next wknd!

Seif5034 09-05-2009 08:05 AM

i make it a point to wander the woods in the off season. This way my scent just becomes a non-threatening thing. (i still use scent control while hunting) but I can honestly say I've never been busted by scent on my property