Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ran into some fawns

Old 09-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default ran into some fawns

I was out walking my woods just for kicks. Taking a little time to be somewhat quiet. I was almost to the top of a hill and heard some crashing so, naturally, I froze in my tracks. Two Whitetailed fawns popped over the hill heading right for me. Once they got close enough, they realized I didn't belong and checked me out for a while before taking off

I love when deer do this. It's nice to watch deer eye to eye (while both are alive). It's happened to me only twice in my lifetime thus far. This time they got within 15 feet. Mamma was down the hill hidden in the thicker stuff (I heard her follow her fawns)

I got a short video on my phone but it's poor quality and I don't know if I can upload it.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

cool.
I would like to see the video.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

It happens to me a lot when I bike around the neighborhood. Very cool thing to see.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

It sounds like it would be a cool video to see.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Spike

That has happened to me a couple of times as well. The closest I have gotten is actually a funny story.

About 5 of my buddies and I were walking through this cropped corn field late one evening in the pitch black and not paying any attention. As we were walking we were startled when 3 fawns come prancing right in front of us out of nowhere as if the were just playing and having the times of their lives or something. They didn't even acknowledge us even after a couple of us said, "WHOA, what the hell?" lol

After that we kind of went into hunter stalking mode and watched what was going on. All we had as light was the moon and a little pen flashlight. About 10 yards from where the fawns crossed in front of us my buddy that was in the lead was taking slow easy steps when I noticed what looked like a big rock laying on the ground.

I whispered to my buddy to watch out for the rock and just as he got within arms reach of the rock it uncurled and stood up looking right at us. It was momma and I bet she was saying "WHOA, what the hell?"

We all just stopped and stood there waiting to see what she would do I guess and she just looked at us and then took off like a bat out of hell. No noise or anything, she just turned around and took off. That was it.

We sat around the campfire and talked about that the whole weekend. It was a very cool experience to almost step on a sleeping deer and then have it just look you in the eye as if to say "Man, what the heck is wrong with you?" :-)
Old 09-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd love to see the video

But I love the feeling too of having a deer look you straight in the eye, I had a buck last year that did that.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I saw two small spotted fawns yesterday on my land. We picked up a couple of camera chips and had a picture of another fawn plus two nannies that were real heavy with fawns, should soon have them. Lots of bucks in velvet on the chips. In two weeks there were close to 1400 pictures on one chip. Most of them were buck pictures, don't know how many of them were repeat buck pictures, but there were a LOT of different bucks.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:34 AM
Spike

I think they all slip up evey once and a while. Sounds pretty cool.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Spike

This is really a nice experience. It feels challenging having a face-to-face encounter with another living specie in the woods. Feeling some kind of excitement of the next step that I should do, would be on my mind.

It's really cool!