Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New box stand

Old 09-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Spike

Default New box stand

Alright let's see what we come up with I have a new deer camp this year and need to build three box blinds out of wood 4x4 bout 8ft tall anybody have any plans. Walls will be painted osb and floor 3/4 ply roof is tin 4x4 legs. Do I need to put a slant on the 8ft legs they will not be in the ground cause I may need to move it later?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

If your not anchoring it to a tree or in the ground I would definately put a slant on the legs
Old 09-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

How windy does it get in Texas? Just wondering because I could see these things laying over and smashed up in a good wind storm. Do you need to be elevated or will ground blind's work for your first season until you determine the best permanent stand placement sites? I wouldn't build anything extravagant or cumbersome until I knew exactly where I wanted them. A guy on here built a really cool portable shooting house on wheels and posted the pics a few months back, he got some of the materials from Hershey's Foods. But isn't it getting late for this, once again suggesting ground blinds being the better option for now.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest using treated plywood instead of OSB (old sh!tty board).
Old 09-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Spike

We are putting new stands up this late because we THOUGHT the stands that where there would stay BUT while doing some work on them the original owners showed up and said they where takeing them. They where very respectalbe about it don't blame them at all. I am prob going to go with a 4 ft box stand. I am useing osb because I don't want to spend to much until I see what the lease has on it.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

is this something like you're thinking of building? there's a company that makes the corners for the posts, that's the key, gives you the angles you need to make them stable, will see if i can find out what they are called. we also use guide wires to secure to long spikes in the ground, its amazing how much the wind will move the box. also have plastic moveable windows.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

found them at Cabelas, not cheap but make life much easier and safer