HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Tree stands stolen off of your private property (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/302564-tree-stands-stolen-off-your-private-property.html)

PSEposter19 09-04-2009 07:52 AM

Tree stands stolen off of your private property

I am not sure but it seems like more, and more these days people have a hard time buying their own tree stands, and pop up ground blinds. I am just getting sick of it! I, for some reason feel like I am the only one this is happening to. How do you feel?

salukipv1 09-04-2009 11:44 AM

perhaps you should put out a "bait stand" and hide a trail cam aimed at the stand

berksbowman 09-04-2009 11:46 AM

Your not the only one! It seems like I loose 2-3 every year.

TheMiz54 09-04-2009 12:03 PM

I would lock up all of your stands and climbing sticks to prevent it from happening again

bugsNbows 09-04-2009 12:09 PM

Pretty much sucks to be sure! :s6:

Down&OutHunting 09-04-2009 12:21 PM

I haven't had any taken but ive gained a few. We always seem to find a couple every year in one of our woods. Had the conservation officer called one year to settle a dispute because two guys from out of state were on our ground and we took there stands and they called the Conservation officer and he laughed and said if he writes anyone a ticket it would be them for trespassing. We were nice enough to give one of three stands back and they learned a lesson.

Southern Buck 09-04-2009 01:27 PM

I had a trail camera stolen about 3 years ago and man was I pissed I know who stole it but cant prove it. plant you some nails in the ground and flatten their tires seems to work pretty good.

lone cedar farm 09-04-2009 04:05 PM

No youre not the only one, theres never a shortage of thieves in my area too! Scary part is these people are walking around in the woods hunting also, and usualy with no orange on because their tresspassing.

sure would like to catch one of these punks in action! :mad1:

falcon 09-04-2009 04:14 PM

We have not had any stands stolen. We did have a tractor disk stolen. One of our places had a bad trespasser problem. All the landowners on that side of the road had problems with trespassers from the deer lease across the road.

That problem went away when some hunters parked their brand new Dodge diesel pickup into a neighbors field. The grass caught on fire and the truck burned up. The truck owner called the sheriff and claimed that the neighbor torched the truck. Deputy chewed out the truck owner for trespassing. No more problems.

appleater25 09-04-2009 07:17 PM

Got one ****d this last year...man that makes me mad...the worst part is that you try to stay out of there to reduce pressure on the deer and these dicks ruin that and take your property. Not much more aggravating than this.

TristateHunter.com 09-04-2009 11:23 PM

I have never had a s tand stolen yet.. I'm fortunate... even though the farm I hunt is surrounded by good folks.. I know one day.. sooner or later im going to head to my spot.. and find that its gone.. I hate thieves.

iSnipe 09-05-2009 12:29 AM

Since I don't hunt my private property nor hang stands on them...

and this thread isn't addressed to hunters who have had their treestands stolen, regardless of where they were hung, I can't comment.

iSnipe

wis_bow_huntr 09-05-2009 06:01 AM

weve been fortunate enough to not have any stands stolen. of course we dont put out stands where they are easily spotted.

Valentine 09-05-2009 06:26 AM

To Newbies

Poachers steal; that is why they get called poachers.

Poachers can be good woodsman, in shape, and know your land as good as you do. Don't underestimate them.

The recession has been going on for more than two years; some people are more motivated for other people's property.

Remember, every missing tree stand you had stolen from the woods, was a tree stand the poacher was in shape to carry out of the woods; and you weren't.

Ava 09-05-2009 09:58 AM

I've haven't been in the woods yet and don't even own a tree stand but I wanted to say that I feel for all of you who have had something hunting related stolen, whether it's a stand or a camera ext...

The only story this reminds me of is a guy I once met while working for another who had a tree stand and a camera in my neighborhood come up stolen. I felt bad for the guy but I have to question, atleast myself if not him, why someone would leave a tree stand in the woods considering it's public grounds? I don't want to come off as YOU DESERVED IT with my question, that's not my intentions of asking but why not take your stand home with you at the end of a hunt if it's portable/possible? I'm just curiously wondering and maybe hoping that I can learn something so it doesn't happen to me when I start to hunt with a tree stand. ;)

BUCKMARK 09-05-2009 11:42 AM

Ben lucky, we leave our stands in year round and so far so good. We thought that our deer cart walked off, but found out the land owner moved it into another building. He didn't know it was ours and said it was to good to throw away. I was rather upset before I found out that it wasn't stolen...

FlDeerman 09-05-2009 07:16 PM

Had a ladder stand stolen,I chain them now.

Mr.Flintlock 09-06-2009 03:33 AM

I'll just say this. I believe there is no lower form of human garbage on God's green earth than a thief.

teedub31 09-06-2009 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Flintlock (Post 3431527)
I'll just say this. I believe there is no lower form of human garbage on God's green earth than a thief.

While I agree with you sentiment, I do rank them a little higher then child molesters.

09_bobcat 09-06-2009 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Down&OutHunting (Post 3430454)
I haven't had any taken but ive gained a few. We always seem to find a couple every year in one of our woods. Had the conservation officer called one year to settle a dispute because two guys from out of state were on our ground and we took there stands and they called the Conservation officer and he laughed and said if he writes anyone a ticket it would be them for trespassing. We were nice enough to give one of three stands back and they learned a lesson.

ive had a couple of stands, cameras and feeders donated to me the same way. i cant stand trespassers. we put up signs trying to be nice and let them get their stuff off, then one of our cameras came up missing so our local game warden said if we wanted the stuff it was on our property therefore we could have it. about 1000 worth. of stuff total

timbercruiser 09-06-2009 06:23 AM

Get some hardened steel chain and lock it under the seat of your ladder stand where they can't get a bolt cutter in there. Don't lose the key, you won't be able to get it off the stand. Push the bottom of the ladder into the ground and they won't be able to get the ladder either.

teedub31 09-06-2009 06:37 AM

Ditto to all of the suggestions about locking things up. Just common sense IMO.

Arjuna 09-06-2009 07:57 AM

I had one stolen a couple of years ago...Forgive the quote, but "I feel your pain."

leadoperator 09-06-2009 08:12 AM

You're not alone, over the years i've supplied a few treestands to so called hunters that i've never met.

PSEposter19 09-07-2009 02:31 AM

Well, thanks everyone for the pointers. I am going to try the trail cam, or a digital video feed to the house $$$$. and lock them up. We will see who has the last laugh!!