Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
help with hunting apple orchard >

help with hunting apple orchard

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

help with hunting apple orchard

Old 09-04-2009, 04:46 AM
Spike

Default help with hunting apple orchard

I have been fortunate enough to gain permission to hunt an apple orchard near my home in upstate NY. There is a section of woods/swamp that is between a road and the orchard, it is not a huge area between the two but has some heavily used deer trails, and no good trees in the area for a treestand so I am going to have to use a ground blind.

Here is my question: Does it make more sense to set the blind up in the actual apple orchard facing where the trails exit the swamp and enter the orchard, as I will be able to see more (the swamp is thick and limited viewing from the ground).

Should I hide the blind under some apple trees for cover or out in the open since I will only be 20-25 yards from the woods (bow hunting).

Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks for any help.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

Well its hard to give a good assesment without seeing a particular property. But i think the key here is scouting. If the deer are in the orchard a lot, then it could be good and bad. Good cause if you set up in the orchard they will come to you, bad cause they could be in there and when you come to your blind you could push them out.

The best scenario for hunting in food source is to figure out where they come into the field from. If there bedding in the swamp area then try to figure out where and how they are entering the orchard. It might mean laying down in the orchard and glassing a few times to find all the entrance exit points. Another thing is to put a ladder stand up in the swamp or on the edge of it, depending on the terrain its going to be your best bet to make good shots and give you a better field of view. Ladder stands usually dont require "good" trees, just something to lean it on, there are a ton of new styles of ladder stands too that could work in various situations.

My suggestion is to find out where they enter and exit and see if a ladder stand would work, if not i would try to place a blind then. But my experience in orchards, especailly in the late season, the elavation is a huge advantage, but not always necessary.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Spike

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I do not have a ladder or tripod stand, and I dont see being able to get one in the forseeable future. I have found severeal entry and exit points from the swamp to the orchard, one of which shows HEAVY usage, and I want to set up there.

I do have a ground blind to use, but because it is archery I can only set up 20-30 yards away. Should I try to set up my blind in the apple trees to blend in or because it is so close to the entry/exit point should I just set it out in the open and let the deer get used to it being there?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Well i would set up the ground blind where you can use natural cover as well. And DONT set it up directly infront of the entrance point. That would be like a wall to them, not to mention if you get spotted in it or shoot one out of it they will be on to you from then on. I would put it to the side of the trail, 20 or 30 yards off, depending on how comfortable you are shooting. Put nature cover around it, and try to place it in a spot that will not directly effect deer traffic. If you do that you should be able to have a good spot for the rest of the season.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Is using the natural cover/terrain not an option? It's worked for bow hunters for millennia.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kevin1
Is using the natural cover/terrain not an option? It's worked for bow hunters for millennia.

Of course or at least i would hope so. I personally try use all natural cover to my advantage, whether im sitting on the ground or sitting in a stand. I think a combo of both blind and natuaral cover/blind would be optimal.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Spike

I was planning on using natural cover with the blind. I was thinking of placing the blind under one of the apple trees with overhanging branches to try to blend it in off to the side of the trail.

I was also thinking of placing the blind in the treeline a ways down from the trail exit looking into the orchard instead of from the orchard looking into the woods.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you can set your blind in the middle of the orchard and let them get comfortable with it, that would at least give you another option during the season.

I would also build a blind using natural cover 10-20 yards into the woods/swamp with a view of the main trails.

Scout the area at dawn and dusk and note the timing of their arrival into the orchard; that should determine which one to use, at least for opening day.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

I personally would go for being in the tree line facing into the orchard. I personally would not want to be in the orchard. Just my opinion
Old 09-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

You say that the swamp is between the road and the orchard, are you able to get around it without spooking the deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.