Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what kind of range w/12 ga?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually not proud to say this, but my friend accidentally put #4 shot shot shell load into his 20ga, and shot a doe at 30 yards in the heart, and she went probably 10 yards and dropped.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

00 Buck shot = 40 yards

Slugs = 65 yards

Get to a patterning board........................
Old 09-04-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to shoot buckshot, try a buck kicker choke or another choke designed for shooting buckshot. It will extend your effective range with it. I've heard of guys frequently killing deer out to 85 yds. Keep in mind though that these guys are probably not bloodtrailing these deer as they are being ran by dogs. IMO I would shoot a slug if possible
Old 09-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with those who say to pattern your shotgun with buckshot. It's strange that many people that would never hit the woods with a turkey hunting rig they had not patterned often never even think about doing the same with buckshot. Also, I would limit my shots to 40 yards even if your gun patterned the 00 buckshot very well. I'm not saying that buckshot can't kill at longer ranges than that but it really runs out of steam fast past 40 yards. And anybody that has killed a deer at 75 or 80 yards with buckshot was very, very fortunate to say the least.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

swamp=trees=buckshot It's hard to even see futher that 40 yards.