Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This guy makes me sick

Old 09-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have any problem with the killing of deer in these high fence places being legal anymore than I have a problem with a farmer slaughtering one of his domesticated hogs. I just have a problem with it being called "HUNTING". Because it's not.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think there is a lot more of this on the hunting shows than you might think. Some shows just aren't as blatant as others. Another example is baiting. You think deer just walk up to a tree at random and start eating out of the dry grass? Instead of a feeder, they scatter it in the grass. They think we're stupid.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Put Allen and Kieth together and you still wouldn't have one decent hunter
Old 09-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not agree with fenced hunt's but being a 3 time veteran in the Army he takes time to thank the troops and I appreciate it a bunch.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Barta cracks me up! He's dead serious and kind of ****y...it's not supposed to be but it often ends up being kind of comical!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mossberghunter93
It might be Kieth Warren I cant exactly remember
I watched his show called "The High Road" In the beginning it shows hunters arguing over High fence or No high Fence, etc. and then it states one man is bridging the divide= Keith Warren.
He is a joke, the last episode was filmed at a High fence/ free ranging preserve near State College Pa.As soon as they said Pa I knew it was high fence. His wife shot a caged deer and they turned it into a 1/2 hour killing show. He also advised a viewer who wrote in about buck to doe ratio to kill every doe off his property until he didn't see anymore and then shoot more if possible. This shows he hunts high fence almost exclusively
because someone trying to raise big buck and not have any doe on his property isn't going to keep buck around for long without a high fence.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bone_Collector
but I have heard many TV hunting personalities say that it is OK, because in many instances the ranches that are fenced are not several hundred, but several thousand acres so even if it is fenced it may still be "hard" to locate the game.
If Keith Warren wasn't given a guaranteed kill on video his crew would not be at that ranch. That goes for all the hunting shows even Tom Knapp's show Upland Bird Hunter, they are given a guarantee that they will see action before they agree to hunt and film there. None of these TV hunters hunt the way the majority of us do except the Kisky's and Lakosky's who hunt their own land, granted they have what we don't but they do the work in raising the deer they shoot on their farms.

As far as picking the deer you want to shoot, in my opinion it is no different with or without the fence if you pay to hunt a ranch.
Even without the fence the hunting outfitters know what deer are there and where they are. All you do is go to a stand that they placed and watch a procession of deer walk by until you see the one you are looking for and shoot it.
The difference is the deer which are free ranging have been managed to become the trophies they are, they were born in the wild thus they are wild no matter if they eat from a feeder or not they still live free and can leave the area if they choose due to hunting pressure, the rut, etc. and they still need to be hunted like wild deer. High fenced deer are raised like cattle and then sold, shipped and stocked in an enclosure. These deer have never needed to be fearfull of human scent or the sight of humans, actually just the opposite these deer look to humans as our dogs look to us as the deliverer of food and treats. Killing these high fenced deer is alot different than hunting on a free ranging ranch.

The fact that these TV host hunt these hunts in most cases does not discredit them, because they do have years of experience. The simple fact is people want to watch big bucks get shot on TV and DVD and you are most likely not going to have a shot at a big buck or elk on public land too often. If you absolutely cannot stand "canned" hunting or hunting at outfitters try to find a show called the best and worst of Tred Barta. The guy is a radical primitive hunter and often fails on his shows. He may use outfitters in Alaska, but I think non residents must hunt with a guide in that state and he uses primitive archery equipment, sometime with stone arrow heads.
I like Barta but he isn't coming out with any new shows anymore, as far as I know unless his paralysis has been cured.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Todd1700
I don't have any problem with the killing of deer in these high fence places being legal anymore than I have a problem with a farmer slaughtering one of his domesticated hogs. I just have a problem with it being called "HUNTING". Because it's not.

I would say they are both as equal of a challange. A friend invited me on one of these canned pig hunts a few years back. I treated it as a big party and you get to shoot a pig out of it. Some guys showed up all camoed and sentlocked up and took it very seriously. It was 400 acres with about 100+ pigs running around, can you beleive some guys couldn't score.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:53 AM
Little Doe Peep

Cool

Originally Posted by Todd1700

I pretty much agree with you here. But I think it's a mistake to set these guys aside as non-hunters and what they do as NOT hunting. It's one thing to think it, but when we create a division within a group of people who see themselves as "hunters," we play into the hands of the anti-hunting crowd. We have a heck of a lot more in common with the "high fence hunting" guys than we do with PETA or any other anti-hunting group.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I am against anything other than fair chase hunting. I wouldn't participate and nobody I know or hunt with would either. This type of activity even where legal isn't in the best interest of true sportsmen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.