HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Carryin a side arm... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/302394-carryin-side-arm.html)

1shotkill1993 09-02-2009 10:42 AM

Carryin a side arm...

This is mainly for fellow Virginia hunters, because I know the laws are different everywhere.

I hope its not just me but during bow season, I personally DO NOT feel comfortable walking through the woods in the dark with no firearm.

Does anyone know the age requirement or if there is one, (I'm sure there is) to carry a sidearm?. I have looked in my manual, cant find one.

I'm 16 by the way.

RugerM77.270 09-02-2009 11:11 AM

I don't know about VA but in most states its 21 and you must have a CCW.

srwshooter 09-02-2009 01:09 PM

its the same in va.

nchawkeye 09-02-2009 01:14 PM

Also, in many (NC included) it is illegal carring a sidearm while either bow or muzzleload hunting...

Sniggle 09-02-2009 01:19 PM

I believe VA is similiar to WV, in that you can carry a sidearm during bow season IF you have a concealed carry permit. That is the primary reason I got my CCW this spring, and yes, I will be carrying my trusty Ruger SP101 during bow season and rifle season.

RobertSubnet 09-02-2009 02:21 PM

I totally understand your concerns. I will be carrying a Ruger Old Army BP pistol during our ML season.

If due to your age you are not able to carry a pistol you might want to consider pepper spray. I carry pepper spray when I go walking late at night. Not as lethal as a pistol, but definately better than nothing.

Get the hard core stuff that sprays 20 feet in a cloud not a narrow stream (much easier to hit eyes that way) and hopefully your attacker does not have a gun!

Mojotex 09-02-2009 03:49 PM

In Alabama, no pistol or any kind during "archery only" season days. Pistol OK in ML days if it too is a ML.

sachiko 09-02-2009 03:52 PM

In Michigan, you can carry a concealed pistol even during archery season IF you have a CPL. Of course, like most states, you have to be 21 to get a CPL.

VAhuntr 09-02-2009 05:11 PM

You can't carry a firearm concealed in VA during bowseason unless you have a CWP and you can't get a CWP until you are 21.

However, there are certain instances where you can possess a handgun under 18 but you still can't legally conceal it.

Refer to Virginia Code 18.2-308.7

edited to add: The only legal way to carry a firearm in VA during bow season is concealed.

wis_bow_huntr 09-03-2009 02:53 AM

I think its federal that you have to be 21 years of age to carry any handgun in anystate. Some states do not have a Concealed Carry law in place so it would have to be worn where it can be seen. I carry my .44 with me every bow hunt. Thats going to be especially important this year with all the wolves running around Clark county. If it comes between me and a wolf, I hate to say it, but the wolf is going to come out on the losing end.