Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Carryin a side arm...

Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
I totally understand your concerns. I will be carrying a Ruger Old Army BP pistol during our ML season.

Get the hard core stuff that sprays 20 feet in a cloud not a narrow stream (much easier to hit eyes that way) and hopefully your attacker does not have a gun!
I disagree, if you carry OC (pepper spray) GET THE ONE THAT SHOOTS A STREAM working for the police dept. I know how easy it is for wind to blow OC and if you get a cloud or cone spray odds are you will be just as effected by the spray as the subject you are spraying. With a stream it virtually eliminates the possibility of you getting a big dose of it yourself. Hold it by your hip when you spray as well, don't hold it at a full arms length.

If you choose to carry OC just be careful and check your state regulations on percentages and size of container that's allowable.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
I think its federal that you have to be 21 years of age to carry any handgun in anystate. Some states do not have a Concealed Carry law in place so it would have to be worn where it can be seen. I carry my .44 with me every bow hunt. Thats going to be especially important this year with all the wolves running around Clark county. If it comes between me and a wolf, I hate to say it, but the wolf is going to come out on the losing end.
This is not true. In VA I know and some other states also apply you can open carry as long as your are 18 or older. You have to be 21 to get a concealed permit however. You also can't purchase a handgun from a dealer until you are 21. However, you can purchase one from a private party or be given one as a gift as long as you are 18 or older. I'm not exactly sure what the laws are on being under 18 and carrying a handgun. I've read them before but hate to comment on them as I can't remember them 100% so don't want to give out wrong info.

OpenCarry.org is a good site that list the age you need to be in most states to open carry.

Like said though it's not usually allowed to open carry during bow season.

The federal law is that you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer. Some states such as VA allow you to purchase one in a private sale if you are under 21.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 09-03-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Spike

In my own opinion, there would be similarity between VA and WV.
Handling firearms would be a great responsibility, that's why it should be preferred for a mature person.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for correcting me....we are alowed to open carry in Wi during bow season.

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
This is not true. In VA I know and some other states also apply you can open carry as long as your are 18 or older. You have to be 21 to get a concealed permit however. You also can't purchase a handgun from a dealer until you are 21. However, you can purchase one from a private party or be given one as a gift as long as you are 18 or older. I'm not exactly sure what the laws are on being under 18 and carrying a handgun. I've read them before but hate to comment on them as I can't remember them 100% so don't want to give out wrong info.

OpenCarry.org is a good site that list the age you need to be in most states to open carry.

The federal law is that you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer. Some states such as VA allow you to purchase one in a private sale if you are under 21.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman

You summed that up pretty well. As I stated in an earlier post, there are some occasions where someone under 18 is allowed to possess(not conceal) a handgun in VA. VA Code 18.2-308.7 describes these occasions. The following link to the Virginia State Police contains some pretty good info:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

Last edited by VAhuntr; 09-04-2009 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by archryhunt
In my own opinion, there would be similarity between VA and WV.
Handling firearms would be a great responsibility, that's why it should be preferred for a mature person.
Not a good assumption to take at all. Just because VA and WV are bordering states does not necessarily mean their firearms laws are similar.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

[quote=wis_bow_huntr;3428708]I think its federal that you have to be 21 years of age to carry any handgun in anystate. Some states do not have a Concealed Carry law in place so it would have to be worn where it can be seen.quote]

Most states allow the "open carry" of a gun at the age of 18. there is a whole website committed to this right/law. opencarry . org
Old 09-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with natimage, get the stream spray. As far as carrying a handgun in the woods, I'll carry regardless of what any law says. I got my concealed permit mainly just to satisfy the law here in Texas but I always carried before I got my permit. I took a hunters safety course to hunt public land and asked a game warden how he would handle someone carrying a handgun during archery season. he said it depended but if the person looked to be carrying a pistol for personal protection he would have no problem with it. He said if you had a mag with a scope on it he might have a problem with it. Bottom line with me is I try to obey ALL laws, but I always (well always try to) carry a handgun in the woods whether hunting or hiking. And not for just critters, but you never know who/what you may come across.