Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Drury Question

Old 09-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

i like the drury shows compared to the rest but your right about the shows!! they should show them kiilling bucks that we would normally shoot instead of every time they kill one its a 150 monster....
Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

i like most of the shows now days, and buy a few dvd's.i will watch whatever, sometimes promoting products can be a pain. its just like everything else on tv promoting products....every channel has a commercial that has some celebrity trying to sell something. IMO hunting should be fun filled time with friends anf family and enjoying the outdoors, in most of the videos and shows thats what i see happening.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Spike

Guys, you have to admit that given the opportunity you might do the same only in a better way. Or not. Either way I think they should do alot more for the kids today because with out them our future in hunting will disapear.. And they will all have to pay big money to shoot the big boys as they walk out of their cage at some ranch. To the first comment yes I am getting sick of the same old thing as well. We should all start up a show that is for state land hunters, where do you think that would end up, if we were working with charities?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

for those of you thinking they can't come to your state and kill a monster you are right! they can't! THEY CAN'T BECAUSE YOU SHOOT THEM BEFORE THEY GET BIG!!! Let those young deer grow up you too will have mature deer. which is the real trophy, not how big it score's. Make's me sick to hear you guys crying because this guy is getting paid do what he love's and i stuck in the sewer plant sucking hind tit.
GROW UP!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Spike

I'm actually shocked that this group of people are being bashed so hard. There is another thread on here bashing the Warren brothers for hunting high fence operations and I agree with that. As for the Drury brothers, Lee and Tiffany, Don and Candy Kiskey (Spelling?) most of them actually have worked hard to an extent.

The Drury brothers were some of the pioneers that started the whole TV/DVD hunting series. Pretty much everyone that has responded said they liked the DVD/TV shows at one time. As for the advertising I do not like the constant plugs, but advertising pays the bills and if a company sponsors you, you have an obligation to plug their products. Every Sports program from NASCAR to the NFL has seen a huge increase in advertising. As for the contestants on Dream Season getting paid I am not 100% sure, but I would imagine they would have to as they are not at work for nearly 90 days.

As for Lee and Tiffany, I think one of their families had farm land in Iowa and Lee was an engineer (real job) he took a risk and quit to do the TV deer hunting show. He worked his butt off to do the food plots and let the deer get big so that they could film them hunting big bucks.

Don and Candy Kiskey were farmers in Iowa and liked to hunt and got into the whole food plot/letting the little guys walk phenomenon and started doing a TV show, then they got together with Lee and Tiffany and the rest is history.

I said it on the other thread and I will say it here. If you do not feel like it is realistic to watch shows where they have all these opportunities to kill big bucks and you want to watch a TV show watch the Best and Worst of Tred Barta on VS. He is a radical primitive hunter (from NY I think) and hunts a lot of public land and wide open spaces (in Alaska) with a long bow and often stone arrow heads. I would honestly say the way he hunts most people could not be successful. In fact in a lot of his shows he comes up empty handed.

Last edited by Bone_Collector; 09-04-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Spike

As if i didn't write enough last time I forgot to touch on one part of the thread.

for those of you thinking they can't come to your state and kill a monster you are right! they can't! THEY CAN'T BECAUSE YOU SHOOT THEM BEFORE THEY GET BIG!!!
This is sadly too true, especially on public land, which I hunt. Too often I have told fellow hunters I see in the woods that I passed a 4 pt or a spike only to be chastised for passing a deer with bone on his head. When I ask why they say "If I were you I would have shot that, because someone else will." Ironically I live in a state that allows you to kill over 300 deer in a season (3 does a day) and these same guys will not shoot does (no sport it seems). I hunt for meat mainly and the love of the sport, but i have tried to be more conscious of letting little bucks walk with the hope that we may have more opportunities to kill a big buck even on public land. It is more challenging to shoot a mature doe then it is to shoot a baby buck IMO. If people let more little deer walk there would be more mature deer in the woods.

If you're out there to put meat in the freezer then that is fine. Shoot whatever crosses your path, but don't put down the people that trophy hunt and don't think for one second that if any of us had a chance to get paid to hunt for a living we would not be all over that.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Wow Wow, Whats wrong with everyone here. I am true walk the trails find the sign hunters from WI. If I had a chance to own a 2000 acre farm and given all the equip. Then told hey you shoot this bow and shoot this arrow. We'll pay ya. Then drop our name 5 times in your braodcast and we'll pay ya. ALL OF YOU WOULD DO IT. Come on they are living the hunters dream and your knockin them. Come on for real Stop the BS.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

So they worked hard to gain hunting recognition.
Finally made the big time.
And then shouldn't be paid to continue there success...

Doesn't sound very American to me??!!

Over advertising erks me too, but I can tell you, if someone wanted to give me a bag of cash I probably wouldn't turn it down, as long as I could sleep at night?!!

I used to think that there were bucks around every tree "EVERYWHERE" else but my woods, but a lot more work and wa-la - Bucks! I live in NH so understand your NY hunting conditions, as it's no place like Kansas Dorothy

So now to your question... I have, quietly, boycotted many DVD's as there nothing like NH hunting, so until then, I'll watch my own!
Old 09-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iowabuckslayer
for those of you thinking they can't come to your state and kill a monster you are right! they can't! THEY CAN'T BECAUSE YOU SHOOT THEM BEFORE THEY GET BIG!!! Let those young deer grow up you too will have mature deer. which is the real trophy, not how big it score's. Make's me sick to hear you guys crying because this guy is getting paid do what he love's and i stuck in the sewer plant sucking hind tit.
GROW UP!
Plenty of mature deer where I hunt. I AM curious why the show people don't come here - High Peaks, VT. or NH. to get them. Then again, anyone who does hunt here knows that answer!

Last edited by crokit; 09-05-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

If you look at any sport, sponsorship is the major portion of a celebrities income. Look at Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, etc...each is a legend in their sport no different that of hunting. Only difference in hunting is they tend to switch sponsors either due to one company cutting expenses or another offering more.

I would say its no different in hunting, however its not as big as a business as golf or basketball.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.