Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Drury Question

Old 09-02-2009, 08:20 AM
  #11  
Nontypical Buck
 
Bible_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern TN
Posts: 1,018
Default

I have several times commented to my wife that all the work is taken out of it for them...just walk in there and whop a monster. And true, true any of us could do what many of the "pros" on hunting shows do. I don't necessarily consider them pros. Just average hunters who, for the most part, have above average marketability. If I had that opportunity, I would exploit it. The most professional hunter I know goes to church with me. He has never been on a show, endorsed a product or been on a guided hunt. However he knows how to scout, stalk and whack better than anyone I have seen on the tube. Of course he has been doing it for 30 years.

Do I fault the folks on tv that flaunt products and and consider 140" deer "management bucks"? Nope. I do enjoy other shows that seem more real life more though...The Spirit of the Wild baby! Ted Nugent was gaga over a 4 point he killed on his past show...and a 175 lb doe. We don't see enough of that. Love his show. There are others too, his just always comes to mind. I try to keep a running tab on how many times he says "backstraps" per show!
Bible_Man is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 AM
  #12  
Typical Buck
 
rh160kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 549
Default

Originally Posted by johnandmare
I am not a moron, as you eluded to in your post. Check your spelling too before you name-call. Like I said at the beginning of this post, I used to ENJOY watching the Drury DVDs, but lately they are getting to be a little much. They rave about HOYT and then switch to PSE??? I'm sorry, but I question that as big business, not talented hunting. Please do not tell me Lee and Tiffany BUSTED their rumps to get where they are. Give me a break, they aren't old enough to have busted anything. I am not jealous of them either. I am perfectly happy to go and scout and hang stands and cut shooting lanes and sit for hours because that's where all the enjoyment in hunting is. It isn't just popping into a stand somebody else scouted and hung for you, where's the fun in that? The Drury's used to be fun to watch, but as soon as they started having Dream Season and irresponsible hunters shooting bucks they were told specifically NOT to shoot, and more than once, they lost my respect. Granted it wasn't them, but they were responsible for those contestants and they never even addressed it on the DVD when they got kicked off the land they were hunting by the biologist. A regular to their show is John Frank, and if he isn't the biggest moron on television, I don't know who is. He says things and does things that are an embarassment to hunters. Why would you want him representing your name?
I am not "way off base" with my comments. They are my opinions and nothing more. While we are at it, tell me how many times they credit the Thompson kid for introducing them to Catch a Dream. It was all his idea, and the Drury's got it from him. I applaud them for taking less fortunate and sick children on hunts, but they have ridiculous fund raisers sometimes to do it. I watched the one season where Rick and Julie were having their fund raiser and they best they could do was "Rattling for Bucks". Give me a break, those two could just have donated cash or a hunt and it would have amounted to a whole lot more money. It shouldn't be a contest to see who can raise the most money, they should do it because they want to, like Thompson did. Instead they are rewarded with hunts for being the "winners". Where's the charity in that?
I will just turn the channel from now on and let others that enjoy them watch. That would be you. That's the beauty of America, you are free to change the channel - so far, anyway.
im sorry i just think you really picked the wrong people in the industry to find fault with. Lee Lakosky is a chemical engineer-not your average minimum wage, cake job. And last i knew Tiffany was still working as an airline stewardess. These folks still had everyday fulltime jobs working just like you and me. On top of that become one of the biggest names in the hunting industry. Granted they do on occasion hunt with an outfitter they still do the bulk of their hunting on their farm and their leases. They plant their own foodplots, scout their own property and hang their own stands just like you and I do. They manage their property to very high standards and reap the benefits. I cant find fault in that. You and i have the same oppurtunity in life to go out and achieve success, just as the Lakoskys and Drurys have done imo. As far as the Drurys go they to do the bulk of their hunting on their own farms. Not like others in the industry-Gregg miller, Stan Potts, HS Specialties hunters, Michael Wadell and the list goes on and on, of guys who almost strictly hunt with outfitters. I do agree it doesnt take much to go to an outfitter, have them put you in a stand and all you do is pull the trigger. You want to get on any of these types im right with you. I dont think the Drurys, Lakoskys and esp. the Kiskys fall into this category. Do they all plug their sponsors to the point of annoying, yes. But they have to-thats what the sponsor pays for. I do not like the big business side that corporate sponsors bring in the industry but thats the way it is. Folks in the industry long before the Drurys and Lakoskys became sponsor whores. Now its part of the industry-not their fault imo. As far as charity work goes-who cares how they raise the money. Charity golf tournaments and other sporting events are all contests/competitions that raise money for charity. Are all these bad too? How can any event fundraiser/event be ridiculous when its for charity????? And who cares if Mark and Terry didnt start catch a dream-tell me it isnt what it is because of their names and their work for it. Again i just really think you couldnt have picked worse people in the industry to label/judge than those you have imho. Why not get on Pat Reeve and Nicole Jones? They are strictly outfitter hunting morons.
rh160kid is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM
  #13  
Nontypical Buck
 
1shotkill1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Posts: 2,335
Default

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Drury Brothers =

Can't friggin stand those two. They absolutely disgust me.

Drury Brothers, Lee and Tiffany, Primos team, Chuck Adams, etc... etc... etc... most of the celebrity "hunters" are nothing more than product whores.

The bad thing is that I really want to get my daughter a Bow madness XS for Christmas this year but hate the fact that their name is on the bow.
agreed. i dont like them either
1shotkill1993 is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 10:45 AM
  #14  
Nontypical Buck
 
WKP Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,933
Default

The solution = www.whiteknuckleproductions.com

100% Fair Chase
100% Bowhunting
100% Self Guided
100% Sponsor BS Free
WKP Todd is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 AM
  #15  
Typical Buck
 
rh160kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 549
Default

Originally Posted by WKP Todd
The solution = www.whiteknuckleproductions.com

100% Fair Chase
100% Bowhunting
100% Self Guided
100% Sponsor BS Free
I see on your website you have a list of sponsors-do you never mention them in your videos. I am anxious to see one of your videos and intend on doing so soon. I just find it hard to believe a company would be a sponsor if there was no mention of you using there products. Maybe you do this in another manner rather than during the video itself? How do you go about this if you dont mind me asking. Have you switched any sponsors since you began your videos? Cant wait to check out your videos!
rh160kid is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 PM
  #16  
Site Buck Guru
 
GregH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Racine, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,922
Default

Originally Posted by johnandmare
I don't give a flying hoot what's on their walls. Everyone of us would be capable of having a trophy wall like the one they constantly show in Lee and Tiffany's house - gag me with that show! - if we had their land, money and time.
While most of today's hunting shows have become over commercialized, it's what sells. Especially big bucks. These people have changed their lives to become successful at what they do. I find it hard to criticize them. If I watch their shows at all, I overlook the commercialism and focus on the deer and the hunt.

As for the part in bold............

First of all, there are a lot of people with the land, time and money that will never have a trophy room like theirs. It is not as easy as you think. Whenever someone says "If we/I had their X, Y and Z, yada, yada, yada", it reeks of jealousy. If you want something bad enough, instead of criticizing someone for their success, get off you're butt and do something about it. It is hard work and not everyone is willing or able to do it.
GregH is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 PM
  #17  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
johnandmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 105
Default

Originally Posted by rh160kid
Granted they do on occasion hunt with an outfitter they still do the bulk of their hunting on their farm and their leases. They plant their own foodplots, scout their own property and hang their own stands just like you and I do. They manage their property to very high standards and reap the benefits. As far as the Drurys go they to do the bulk of their hunting on their own farms. Not like others in the industry-Gregg miller, Stan Potts, HS Specialties hunters, Michael Wadell and the list goes on and on, of guys who almost strictly hunt with outfitters. Do they all plug their sponsors to the point of annoying, yes. But they have to-thats what the sponsor pays for. I do not like the big business side that corporate sponsors bring in the industry but thats the way it is. Folks in the industry long before the Drurys and Lakoskys became sponsor whores. Now its part of the industry-not their fault imo. As far as charity work goes-who cares how they raise the money. Why not get on Pat Reeve and Nicole Jones? They are strictly outfitter hunting morons.

I agree 100% with your last comment about Reeves and his girlfriend. However, I have seen the Drury's go to many an outfitter. I have also seen them get into a stand and notice lanes haven't been cut and the blame the time I saw it went to Jarred. I guess Mark and Terry were off that day from the work part of it. ANYWAY, I will repeat myself once again, I used to enjoy watching the Drury's. I have all the Dream Season's up until the "professional couples" one, and the Whitetail madness ones up to #11. I enjoyed them at one time. When they came out this year with PSE as their bow, they lost me. I am of the opinion that they now have enough money to shoot the bow that is the best fit for them, and I am sorry if i offend any PSE shooters, PSE is not that bow. There are Hoyt, Mathews, BowTech, etc that I would imagine most people would place above PSE. My problem with them is I think in the years since their business took off, they have gotten sloppy. Example #1 PSE, #2 shooting bucks way too small and deliberately disobeying an outfitter, #3 never addressing the fact that those guys that did that were morons. I am no longer a fan and am disappointed once again because it's always about the $. For once i would like to see someone use a bow because they believe it to be the BEST.
As far as Lee and Tiffany, I see you like them and that's fine. I do not think their show is worth watching, but I will say I hung in there and watched it longer than my husband did, he quit a while ago. With the fundraising, how about they just go about it quietly and spend more time showing the kids that benefit from it than themselves and all the pomp and circumstance with the fundraisers. It's always nice to do something and not need to see your name in lights, IMHO.


We still watch TED and we saw that episode with the 4 point and 175 pound doe last night. We enjoy him as long as he's not hunting some African species
johnandmare is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 01:18 PM
  #18  
Typical Buck
 
rh160kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 549
Default

Originally Posted by GregH
While most of today's hunting shows have become over commercialized, it's what sells. Especially big bucks. These people have changed their lives to become successful at what they do. I find it hard to criticize them. If I watch their shows at all, I overlook the commercialism and focus on the deer and the hunt.

As for the part in bold............

First of all, there are a lot of people with the land, time and money that will never have a trophy room like theirs. It is not as easy as you think. Whenever someone says "If we/I had their X, Y and Z, yada, yada, yada", it reeks of jealousy. If you want something bad enough, instead of criticizing someone for their success, get off you're butt and do something about it. It is hard work and not everyone is willing or able to do it.
I agree 100% Greg-Im so tired of people saying the same crap- Get off your ass and prove it. Then come tell me its easy.
Originally Posted by johnandmare
I agree 100% with your last comment about Reeves and his girlfriend. However, I have seen the Drury's go to many an outfitter. I have also seen them get into a stand and notice lanes haven't been cut and the blame the time I saw it went to Jarred. I guess Mark and Terry were off that day from the work part of it. ANYWAY, I will repeat myself once again, I used to enjoy watching the Drury's. I have all the Dream Season's up until the "professional couples" one, and the Whitetail madness ones up to #11. I enjoyed them at one time. When they came out this year with PSE as their bow, they lost me. I am of the opinion that they now have enough money to shoot the bow that is the best fit for them, and I am sorry if i offend any PSE shooters, PSE is not that bow. There are Hoyt, Mathews, BowTech, etc that I would imagine most people would place above PSE. My problem with them is I think in the years since their business took off, they have gotten sloppy. Example #1 PSE, #2 shooting bucks way too small and deliberately disobeying an outfitter, #3 never addressing the fact that those guys that did that were morons. I am no longer a fan and am disappointed once again because it's always about the $. For once i would like to see someone use a bow because they believe it to be the BEST.
As far as Lee and Tiffany, I see you like them and that's fine. I do not think their show is worth watching, but I will say I hung in there and watched it longer than my husband did, he quit a while ago. With the fundraising, how about they just go about it quietly and spend more time showing the kids that benefit from it than themselves and all the pomp and circumstance with the fundraisers. It's always nice to do something and not need to see your name in lights, IMHO.


We still watch TED and we saw that episode with the 4 point and 175 pound doe last night. We enjoy him as long as he's not hunting some African species
I agree with you about the whole PSE switch. I used to shoot a PSE back in the day when they were THE bow to shoot. They became a chain catalog product and their company went down the crapper for it. They became a bottom of the barrel bow company and like you believed they got in with the Drury guys as an attempt to salvage their company. I shoot a hoyt now and was also disappointed with themswitching to PSE. No question in my mind whats better-and it is hard to watch them promote PSE after claiming how great Hoyt was. And if they get a better deal from Martin, Bear, or any other company thats looking for a way to promote their bows, they will then be shooting that. Its business-i dont like it but i dont judge their show solely by that. Thats the industry they are in. I still enjoy the hunting aspects of these shows and do respect their knowledge on the sport. If you like the drurys and dont like the commercialism i highly reccomend reading their book, Giant Whitetails-a lifetime of lessons. Imo it is one of the better hunting books ive ever read(and ive read alot of them). The lessons learned chapters are very informative and contain ALOT of good info. Check it out if you get a chance. I agree with you about not needing a pat on the back for doin charity work or make it known you did it. I think they do a pretty decent job and dont get the feeling they are looking to promote themeselves via charity work-but i do see how sum1 could think otherwise. As far as Ted Nugent, i like him and think he does a great deal for our sport. That bein said i cant stand his show. His spiritual bs and magnificent beast crap is way over the top imo.And talk about commercialism!! Ted is a product whore too!! I got so sick of hearing about magnus stinger broadheads i couldnt stand it. But its the industry. To each his own-at least we live somewhere where we can choose what we want to watch and agree to disagree!!
rh160kid is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 02:53 PM
  #19  
Typical Buck
 
blakefrautschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middleton, Wisconsin
Posts: 979
Default

Originally Posted by GregH
While most of today's hunting shows have become over commercialized, it's what sells. Especially big bucks. These people have changed their lives to become successful at what they do. I find it hard to criticize them. If I watch their shows at all, I overlook the commercialism and focus on the deer and the hunt.

As for the part in bold............

First of all, there are a lot of people with the land, time and money that will never have a trophy room like theirs. It is not as easy as you think. Whenever someone says "If we/I had their X, Y and Z, yada, yada, yada", it reeks of jealousy. If you want something bad enough, instead of criticizing someone for their success, get off you're butt and do something about it. It is hard work and not everyone is willing or able to do it.
exactly what i was thinking.. people don't relize that they have to do the work to get the reward, for example they pass on the small, and even some big deer because they havent reached their full potential... if everyone did that ( which is VERY hard to do) people would have no problem seeing huge deer..and deer are smart animals...its not like the deer they shoot are more stupid than the ones all of us shoot... i wouldnt be surprised at all if they could go on public land and still shoot a deer. it might not be as big as some on the show, but i truly believe they could do it.
blakefrautschi is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 PM
  #20  
Nontypical Buck
 
Bible_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern TN
Posts: 1,018
Default

Uncle Ted's over the top antics do get annoying at times, but he is a hunter through and through. Hunts with reasons other than trophy...that is great! Seems consistent with the sponsors he is far too devoted to...as stated, they all over-market out of necessity. I look past that on all shows. I can enjoy pretty much all the shows out there, but the ones where the biggest trophy isn't the leading factor interest me much more. But, size sells. There is good, one way or another, in all of them imo.
Bible_Man is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.