Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
help me i am new to hunting and am hunting first year >

help me i am new to hunting and am hunting first year

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

help me i am new to hunting and am hunting first year

Old 08-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Spike

Default help me i am new to hunting and am hunting first year

This season will be my first time ever hunting. I just got permission to hunt a 10 acre woods that is over populated and has only 5 hunts including me hunting it. this is gunna be fun!!!! Whats the best way to find a spot that is also cheap?

Please help me out
Old 08-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

My first suggestion is you do some couting outside of the woods. Look at the property in google earth or google maps. Then download a program called NASA World View and look at some TOPO maps of the property and try and identify some natural funnels or saddles where deer will be traveling through. Since this is such a small property a good trail or travel corridor would be your best bet at getting a deer. Spend as much time scouting using the technology we now have these days. Then go intot he woods and try and find some deer sign some trails and find a place to set up a stand downwind of the trail. Good luck and try and learn something every time you go out. You are gonna have a great time
Old 08-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Spike

Will you be hunting with any others that are there or are you hunting solo? If you ask them they may give a little advice, cdepends on the person though really. Some people get overly protective of their "territory" when it comes to hunting. I have the luxery of being 1 of the very few bow hunters around that gets permission to hunt some land w/o asking. Its offered to me in advance. . Only other bow hunters I know have ever been on the property come from Virginia when his self employed Biz gets slow. Hope this year he has months of work left.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:01 AM
Spike

Well i am planning on hunting by my self but i might see if i can get a family member to come and help
Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Scout the area your going to hunt without running everything out of there.

Slow and guite.....................eyes on the ground when you're stopped.

Always check your backtrail.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Spike

Are you using Bow or gun? If bow, make sure you feel very comfortable hitting your target at 20,30 yards and never take those cheep shots. Ask anyone who hunts and they will tell you what a cheep shot is. Beleave it or not but the further away you shoot your bow during practice. The better you will be at closer ranges. The target gets smaller so you try harder to make that long shot count. DONT DRAW BACK ON THE DEER TOO SOON. Just wait for the deer to be broadside or quartered away a little then in one motion draw, aim and release. Don't worry about if the deer sees you draw or not. If you do the above, It will be to late for the deer to react and you will hit your mark. If you faulter even a second, you will be more likely to miss or have the deer jump the string on you. He will duck and run as soon as he figures out what you are. If your gun hunting. Always identify your target. Then do it again before you pull the trigger. If your out hunting and you dont see any deer the woods all day. Your mind WILL start playing tricks on you. You will see deer that aren't there. Beleave me when I tell you to make 100% sure of your target before you pull. It may save someones life one day. Hey, Good luck hunting and have fun!!!

Last edited by realhunter64; 09-26-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah scout, look for signs of deer. Find a open area where the deer are traveling and put up a tree stand.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Spike

The most obvious is to look for a deer trail. They aren’t hard to recognize in the growing season, especially if the area isn’t prone to human hiking traffic. Heavily trafficked trails consist of a nearly bare narrow strip of ground through the trees or brush. Less traveled trails may just have flattened or dead greenery.

In the autumn, after a fresh blanket of leaves has fallen, they may be kicked to the side of the trail from use although this is harder to recognize, especially if the area has exposure to wind.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Watch the woods from every angle you can. If you see deer at daylight or dark you may be able to ambush outside the woodline. It depends on the area and safe shooting lanes. Find out if and when they come out in the open and plan from there. Use bait or mineral blocks if legal. If you don't know the laws learn them first. Talk to your local game warden, he or she will be happy to help. If you can set up a blind or tree stand to watch where those deer naturally like to go you can get them easy with a rifle or bow. Know your range, how far can you confidently and consistantly hit a your target with your weapon of choice? If you have to go into the woods to find a trail do so, and set up there. You will want to explore and know every inch of the place anyway and ten acres shouldn't take long. Go alone if are confident enough to do so. More people means more noise and more scent. Go now, and scout as early as possible before your hunt begins. Carry the equipment you will hunt with and know if it's enough or too much before you hunt. Don't sneak around or wear cover scents for scouting. Those critters know when someone is just passing by and will not spook as easy. They also know when you are stalking them and then they will go away and stay away fom you. They look at us and see a predator who is either stalking or not stalking. The same way you can tell if your cat sees something they are interested in. We've all been out not hunting, and had deer hang around all day while we talked and moved in front of them and made noise and wondered why do I always see them when I can't hunt? They simply know the difference in your actions and attitude. Of coarse after they've been shot at a couple times, they trust no one, so then you gotta be super sneaky. Good luck and safe fun to you!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Spike

10 acres for 5 hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.