Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Public land strategy

Old 08-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

weekdays non-rut may help reduce numbers...
Old 08-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the input. We're planning on hunting Morgan-Monroe State Forest. I also just got the dates my friend and I will be going. It will be the Mon-Wed after the opening weekend. I don't know if that's the best time, but I was a little too concerned for my own safety to go public land on the opening weekend. I have been looking at google earth and the state forest maps and have pretty much identified the least accessible areas, and I've also found a few of those hidden little ponds mentioned. I'll be checking them out in the next week or two. Keep the tips coming. Hopefully one of us gets lucky and fills a tag.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

You will be hunting right in my backyard actually. I live down in Bloomington and have hiked back in Morgan-Monroe quite a bit. Google Earth is great, but there is another site that gives you a lot more detailed information about the area. It is the Indiana GIS Atlas http://inmap.indiana.edu/viewer.htmIt isn't as easy to use as Google, but has a lot of information. A good feature is listed under "Infrastructure". Go to "Other Infrastructure" and you can put the trails on top of the Aerial Photos. The 2005 images are the best as far as detail goes. It is a very useful tool for scouting here in Indiana. As far as the hunting goes be prepared to hike, because it is some rough terrain. I did the 10-mile Low Gap trail in the middle of the summer and it was a haul. Good luck with the scouting.