Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shooting at deer with bow from tree? >

Shooting at deer with bow from tree?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting at deer with bow from tree?

Old 08-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Spike

You all are great, thanks for all the great tip's!
Old 08-30-2009, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to shave back hair every year on bucks until I finally reallized how much they drop at the shot as well as aiming too high. Last several shots have been money since I started aiming where I wanted the arrow to exit.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer will almost always react (drop) to the shot noise when within 35yds.Less than 20yds they just don't have time to duck the arrow.Beyond 35yds they usually don't react to the shot.As such between 20-35yds I aim a little low to put the arrow down where the vitals will be when the arrow reaches the deer.As to the rest you must practice shooting from the height you hang your stands.You also need to practice shooting bent over,crouching,sitting,kneeling and twisted L/R at the waist.Both on the ground and in the stand except kneeling.In short be prepared for ANY possibility.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Instead of thinking about where to aim on the deer, think about where you want the arrow to exit. If you're 20 ft up and the deer is 10 yards from the tree, you can't aim at the same point as if he's 20 yards out. I aim higher on the deer to ensure a double lung.

Arrow Exit is the key
Old 08-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Spike

Well i shot from my tree stand tonight an it makes a big difference to see what thats like because its been so long since i have done it. thanks for all the help, i feel confident in my abilities an my scouting now its time to bag a buck......... thanks for all the help guys.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

at an elevation of 20 feet you want to aim low, usually around 19.5 yards. TFox has some videos that teaches this. Contact her.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

eliminate the gussing ..buy you a quality
pendulum sight ...I used one for over 20 years ...

dd
Old 09-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Don't aim high or low, just bend at the waist to prevent changing your anchor point. If you move your bow arm down to aim without bending at the waist, your shot will likely be high.
That's it! Period. Gravity falls the same whether you're 20ft up a tree, or standing flat on the ground, or shoting down hill, or shooting up a hill. Keep the anchor point, keep the form, and you'll be dead on. Practice out of your stand at 20ft, as far out as your going to shoot. Practice! Bending at the waist will become second nature, and NO deer will jump your arrow.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by valor10
That's it! Period. Gravity falls the same whether you're 20ft up a tree, or standing flat on the ground, or shoting down hill, or shooting up a hill. Keep the anchor point, keep the form, and you'll be dead on. Practice out of your stand at 20ft, as far out as your going to shoot. Practice! Bending at the waist will become second nature, and NO deer will jump your arrow.
They can and often will until arrows travel faster than sound.Plain'n simple.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Often times you need to aim off a bit high/low, but it is NOT due to the angle causing the distance to be off. Do the math, from treestand heights, with normal deer shots, the distance difference is about a foot. Can you tell the difference from 24 yards and 2 feet to 25 yards? I can't, heck impact point difference is probably less than an inch anyway.

The reason people miss high/low is the form breakdown that happens when you don't bend at the waist.

The long term solution, learn to bend at the waist, keeping a solid anchor point an T formation. this also assumes you have the right draw length.

Short term: go out and try it, see what it does to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.