Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New hunter

Old 08-27-2009, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

Dan you will do fine! just remember to be safe, take a compass and a communication devise (cell phone or radio). Tell someone of your hunting location, in the event an emergency arose. ALWAYS make a plan ahead of time for safety, because it's the time when you didnt that you really needed too!! good luck and welcome to hunting its a life changing experience!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Spike

Wow. Thanks all. Great forum here. No one has flamed me yet. I really appreciate the kind words.

A new question. Can someone recommend me a great book to keep me motivated and busy until the season opens? I see tons of books out there on "Beginning hunting" but not sure if there is one that is the quintessential one.

Lastly, how does one go about finding private land to lease or camp on to hunt deer?

Off topic, should I get a bow or a gun first? My gut tells me a 12ga so I can change barrels out and do game loads in case I suck at deer hunting. Bow I guess you need lots of skill? Just curious before I really make the jump.

Thanks again all!
dan

Not sure if I mentioned this, I am 37 and very motivated to learn and consume info.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by 52DeerHuntingTips
I don't see a problem with it as long as you are ready that is.

If you do go out, I wouldn't go out expecting to bring home the big boy. If he comes along then awesome but you should go expecting to use your time out there to learn and gain experience and knowledge.
I agree, I'm largely self taught myself, and it was 6 years before I got my first deer. Saw plenty though, usually from behind as they receded into the distance...

Scout around the forums, you should be able to find someone here besides Jake near where you live who will mentor you. If you should happen to find yourself down my way I'd be happy to share what I know, I live in a deer rich area and our non-resident costs are reasonable. My home is located in a woods, so you could literally walk to a prime stand, I have all applicable weapons if you need help there, and plenty of camo. PM if you're interested.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Spike

If I were just starting out, I would start with a 12gauge. Mainly due to a greater advantage of actually killing a deer. Once you get comfortable with that, then maybe move into a bow. One thing with a bow is that you can shoot year round. It is fun just to go out a shoot at a target. Especially if you live in or near a town. When I first started hunting I could be alot more accurate with a gun. I have been bow hunting for several years now and I still get jittery everytime a buck comes into sight. I just think you will be able to maintain your excitement and accuracy better with a gun. The main advice that I can give has already been given. Safety! Be careful not only to your own safety, but to the others that might be in the same woods with you. Always be certain of your target plus what is behind it! And just remember even if you go to the woods and don't see a deer, you have will still have a story to tell. I cannot think of one time that I went to the woods and didn't enjoy being in the outdoors. Good Luck to
Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Spike

Awesome thanks!

Kevin1: I work for a company in Indy so I drive there once a month. How far are you from the city?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Like Kevin said it may take a while to score. I killed a doe in my 3rd season and a buck in my 6th season. Dan at some point you definitely wanna get into the bow hunting side as well. The woods are a lot more relaxed and you can learn a bunch then.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

get out there and have some fun. It will be that much better when you are successful! Check out the forums over at www.archerschoicemedia.com there are several hunters from OH on there -- someone might be near you that would be willing to help. I'm not positive but in Ohio I think you can use a crossbow during the archery season, not as hard to master as a compound/recurve but gives you more time to hunt than just gun hunting. Just check the laws before you go but the more weapons you are willing to use the more chances you have!! Good Luck!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Spike

Well man i live in KY where it borders Ohio an there are some big bucks over there. just do the best you can a obey all the laws. hunting is fun, i stated at 10 but had alot of hunting partners an friends. you ll do good, hit it hard on the scouting an plan you attack. good luck man, send me a maessage any time for help......
Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Spike

For your ??? on the gun/bow. Most people find the gun much less complex to learn and fill tags. As you said the shotgun is a more versitile weapon. Well some people can drop game birds deer etc with a bow. But the chances of a less exsperianced hunter hitting a rabbit or game bird between the 2 weapons just count the odds in the ammo. Bow=1 projectile. Shotgun 100+ easy with lighter loads at decent yrds.
Just remember make sure you check the regulations about gun plugs or amount of ammo you can carry, even type, before you grab some shells and go into the woods. Most states require your gun to be only able to hold 3 shells, in chamber and the magizine, (many guns that are able to hold more normally come with a plug, mossberg's do I know.)
Archery seasons do normally run much longer, and are considerred much harder to fill tags. But I think most (well at least I do) put much more time in preparing, and the actually hunting for bow than gun.
I most of the time hunt solo myself. The kids don't have patience, the wife hates the cold. Just a tip might help if an accident does happen. Be prepared read up on some 1st aid prior to goin into the woods. Could be very useful.

As for the books you "should read" I think that the internet could be so much more profittable. Books have the habit of being wrote by 1-2 authors, so their hunting techniques are kinda bias. You know 1 person telling another the only way to do this or that. Or at best a couple veiws on a situation. With forums like these and some articles that are samples sometimes at magizine sites can offer alot.

And for being a "city boy", its not the place you grew up, or where you live. To me its the attitude or hunting "air" of a person. A responsable hunter sees a deer, feel confident and takes a shot if he feels he can make the kill. A "city boy" sees a deer that most hunters have a good idea that at that range with that gun/bow/ ammo /situation and wait, or attempt to change the odds to their favor. The city boy unloads his gun in the general direction of the animal, even as its bolted WAY out of range reloads ASAP and keeps firing. I have seen many country born and living "city boys."
Guess I think the difference is do you go "to kill something" or "To hunt something". If its the latter welcome to the woods. If its the prior. Find an ant hill and a magnifying glass. No offence meant.

PS for lease/private land check some classifieds. Or if you have the extra $$$ put 1 in the local papers or an area you would like to hunt. Many people lease/rent land after the summer season or the farming "off" seasons.

Last edited by talonfoe; 08-28-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Spike

seriously, all of you-- thanks! Very helpful advise. I am going to consider a bow since our season is from Sept - Feb. I would enjoy more time out there trying to harvest rather than cram it into 1 week. Plus I bet I can practice in my back yard without getting the cops involved. heh. Wish me luck. Hunting classes for my license start in 2 weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.