Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New hunter

Old 08-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Spike

Default New hunter

So is it really ridiculous for me to go hunting for a deer this season on my own for the first time? I have been reading a ton, and I am taking classes in Ohio ( we have to in order to get a license in our state) and have been shooting a bit at the range.

I am asking since I can't find anyone who will take me out this season with them. I reallly want to get into the sport.

Thanks in advance.
dan
Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Spike

I don't see a problem with it as long as you are ready that is.

If you do go out, I wouldn't go out expecting to bring home the big boy. If he comes along then awesome but you should go expecting to use your time out there to learn and gain experience and knowledge.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Absolutely not!! Any time you can spend in the woods is not a waste! You will make mistakes and learn from them which will make you better. Although there are definite advantages to having sumone help you and show you the way there is sumthing special about learning things on your own. I think it makes you cherish it more because it was hard. Most important be safe!!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rh160kid
Absolutely not!! Any time you can spend in the woods is not a waste! You will make mistakes and learn from them which will make you better. Although there are definite advantages to having sumone help you and show you the way there is sumthing special about learning things on your own. I think it makes you cherish it more because it was hard. Most important be safe!!

Well said my man
Old 08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

main thing is be safe! it will be awesome, i was lucky enough to start hunting on my own about age 12. we had the land forever and i knew it by then like the back of my hand. since then ive spent more time alone in the woods, thn i have with a partner. i love it. like its been stated, its nice to have someone to show you things but with enough research you can figure out what to look for and you will pay more attention to the facts than a biased opiinion. just dont get stressed if your not successful. its worth it when it works out and it will be one of the most stress relieving things you ever look forward to. im 23 and i live for it. all year. good luck and we're hear for any questions.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

where do you live? North East Ohio? Send me a PM or something I can explain some stuff and maybe hook up and show you some things if you're close by.
-Jake
Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
where do you live? North East Ohio? Send me a PM or something I can explain some stuff and maybe hook up and show you some things if you're close by.
-Jake

Jake, awesome. I live in Cleveland. I am taking the hunting classes in Sept. Meanwhile I am gearing up and may spend a few weekends out in Muskingum or Gurnsey county to get to know the area before the season opens. I will be hunting with a 12ga as I do now own a bow.

I'd be totally up for meeting any of you in Ohio since I am not really knowledgeable about hunting experience.

Rest of you, thanks for the encouragement. Mostly people are telling me I am too much of a "City boy" to go hunting. Its crap if you ask me. I have passion to learn, I have respect for the sport and I am a sponge to learn. I just have no one to show me!

Cheers,
dan
Old 08-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Spike

Have you checked into weather there are any sportsman's club around where you live?
United Sportsman Club? I would think Ohio would be crawing with them. Try to join a local club and you'll be able to meet people that have the same interest as you do.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get out there! If you end up going alone, just be sure you pay a little more attention to safety than you think you should.

And if you go alone, don't be disappointed if you don't get anything. But you might. I know plenty of first time successful hunters.

But I can guarantee you this, if you don't go, you definitely won't get anything.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good man Jake! By all means dont let having someone to go with most of the time stop you from learning. I started hunting at a very young age by myself. The only thing I was really instructed on... and instructed very well was gun safety and being safe! Safety is the main thing as Bobcat said. I still hunt the vast majority of the time by myself and by most standards Id say Ive been extremely blessed over the years.

Dan I like your attitude and think you will do just fine. Use their negativity for motivation when you dont think things are going well. I used to ask myself fairly often was I crazy....but I kept after it and finally one day things started to click and thats when it all becomes worth it.

Even after over 30 years of hunting I still manage to learn something everytime I go out. You will NEVER quit learning. Just pay attention and study the small things and it will work for you. The main thing is... NEVER EVER EVER give up or quit! Because I can tell you from experience the most miserable nasty discouraging hunting experience you ever had can turn into one of the best in a split second! Hunting is one endeavor that hard work will ultimately be rewarded in spades.

I liked hunting when I started... after I done it for 10 years or so I loved it and now its a passion that grows stronger every year. Enjoy the trip and everywhere it takes you because the ride lasts a lifetime!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.