Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New hunter

Old 08-29-2009, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Danmerk welcome to the forum!

Some other thoughts: decide how you are going to navigate, GPS or compass/map. Which ever method you decide become proficient with it during the off season. You don't want to be cracking open the GPS manual on the first day of the season. And IMHO you should bring a compass as a back-up no matter.

If you are not allready in shape, start working on it. Especially the cardio!

Start looking at topo maps of the area(s) you would like to hunt. Look for features you think would draw deer IE: water, and then go scout out those areas. If you have access that is.

Don't forget, you can always "hunt" for deer with a camera. This is a great way to learn their locations and behaviors. It will be invaluable when the season starts.

It has been mentioned before but definately worth repeating if you are going alone: tell someone where you will be and when you will be back. Check in with that person when you have gotten back or if you have a change in plans.

If you are going bow, I would consider bringing a side arm if your laws permit it. Not for hunting of course but as a personal protection weapon.

Most importantly, have fun. This will be only my second time out and like you, I will be going alone. I don't expect to see a darn thing. But a few days alone in the woods will still be a good time.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:41 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

If you can't find someone to mentor you for a while, then, by all means, go out by yourself. You can read books and magazine articles which will give you some background and help you with some expert advice on the type of hunting you want to do.

Here are some things I learned from my husband.

1- Spend LOTS of time on the range practiing with whatever weapon you are going to use.

2- Take a compass.

3- Get a map of the area. Look for water. Deer can eat lots of stuff but they have to have water.

4- Learn to recognize game trails, but don't follow them. Criss/cross over them.

I'm a very small female so I will never go out in the woods alone. But you should definitely get out there if you can't find someone to go with you.

Don't be sheepish about asking advice, but remember, everyone has their own style
Old 08-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Spike

Once again you people are really nice!

Robert: Awesome advice. Let me say that I lost a ton of weight by working out and eating correctly. I decided to get involved into lots of outdoor activities because I have this new "body" and don't know what to do with it! I've always wanted to go hunting, but I knew my physical ability was a challenge. Now I can leap over fences and run for miles without breaking a sweat. Anyways thanks!

DLG: Great advice as well.

One more question. In choosing a bow, should there be things I should look for? Do I want to buy something used first? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

One more question. In choosing a bow, should there be things I should look for? Do I want to buy something used first? Thanks in advance.
If you don't get an answer here, try asking in the bow forum.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

1- Spend LOTS of time on the range practiing with whatever weapon you are going to use.
And not just bench shooting but in the position(s) you expect to be shooting a deer from.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

You can get lots of advice on what kind of bow and equipment to buy so I'm not going to give any advice since I'm pretty new at this myself. But I'll tell you about our experiences.

My husband's bow wore out so he bought one at Gander Mountain that had been returned. The original buyer didn't like it so my man got it at half price. It's a Browning Rampage. We got my bow at a yard sale. It's a Pro-line youth bow. It's 30 pound draw which is just right for me. Like I mentioned I'm really small, the same size as your average ten-year old girl. I have gotten two deer with it, both with one shot to the heart. No, my arrow did not go all the way through. But both deer were delicious. (There is no minimum draw weight in Michigan which enables kids to hunt.) But you have to practice, practice, practice. It is completely unethical to hunt if you can't hit your target every time.

When you draw your bow or aim your gun, you should not be thinking about killing your deer but about hitting the target. It takes a zen like concentration and you can only achieve this through much practice.

They practice in the backyard, six shots every day.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great posts, Robert & Daddy's little girl...................!!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 08-30-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just make sure you're safe. Bring water, food, compass, and toilet paper. Set up down wind from where you expect the deer to come from.
When I am sitting in my stand, it's not just about the deer hunting it's about everything else that lives out there too. The different things you will see out there will amaze you. I am the most happy when I am out in the woods, be it scouting or hunting I am in my element.