Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer and the barometer

Old 08-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rh160kid
The change in barometric pressure greatly effects deer movement. It triggers a sense in deer the need to feed due to a coming weather change. A falling barometer means a stormfront is coming. The barometer then stays low as the stormfront is present. As the stormfront moves out the barometer rises until the front has passed and levels out at a steady high barometer-meaning nice weather. The best time to hunt is the falling barometer because animals feel the need to feed before the storm. The next best time is when the barometer starts to rise signifying the stormfront has passed, again triggering deer to get up and feed. A steady high barometer is the next followed lastly by a steady low meaning the middle of the storm. I am a big believer in hunting by barometer movement. You can bet when the barometer is about to fall i will be hunting!!

Precisely my observations as well
Old 08-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Spike

I have a weather service (mycast) downloaded on my cell phone. There is a barometer chart on there that predicts and shows barometer movement. I have used this for 3-4yrs now and there are no coincedences in my mind how much the change in barometric pressure affects deer movement!! I look at this chart constantly to plan when i will hunt. I would HIGHLY reccomend downloading one of these services to your phone and give it a try. Mine only costs 3.99/month.
How do u find the barometric pressure with that app? I have the same thing on my phone and i cant find it
Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

LOL-i used to have one of those too! They are pretty cool devices. only problem is they cant tell you thursday that the barometer is goin to plummit 11:30am saturday.Those charts on my phone seem to be very accurate.
They can predict up to 24 hours in advance with reliable accuracy, which is why they were in use into the 20th century, and any honest meteorologist will admit that they can't really do any better. Predicting weather in advance has a lot of science behind it, but it's still little more than an artform about half of the time, and as we all know...

Old 08-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JonnyNov
How do u find the barometric pressure with that app? I have the same thing on my phone and i cant find it
My bad bro-i have 3-4 different weather apps on my phone. The one with the baro. plot is on Weather Scout by gndr mtn. Look for that one on yer download list-its not always available if you dont already have it-if you dont find it call your cell company and ask them.-I just looked on my cell and there is a mycast-fishing app that has it. 10 min free trial run to check it out. Its under the fishing tools menue. Same as weather scout!!

Last edited by rh160kid; 08-27-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Spike

This is great information! Thanks!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:15 AM
Spike

rh,

What do you think of the all digital ones that go your window or your counter in the house I am thinking that they are pretty accurate?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PSEposter19
rh,

What do you think of the all digital ones that go your window or your counter in the house I am thinking that they are pretty accurate?
Anything you can use that will forecast barometric pressure swings will work.. i like the one on my phone because it breaks it down in 3hr segment(6 a.m., 9a.m., 12p.m.,3p.m., etc). It shows it in "graph" form and shows up to two days ahead. If i see tommorrow at 1pm that the barometer is goin to start dropping hard -i hunt!!! It is unbelievable how reliable the barometer is forecasting deer movement. Anyone who doesnt use this tool is missing out in abig way imo.