Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feeling very down.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Feeling very down.

My father and I were just about to go to the lodge this evening when one of his friends came in the driveway and said we needed to get our camera and stand out of our little honey hole we've been hunting for years. He said they're going to be logging and they didn't want to destroy our stuff. It kinda put a huge kink in my plans for this and future years. With bow season 3 weeks away I'm heart broken and don't know what to do. It's too late to join a hunting club. I've got a public land place to hunt but I've Never seen a deer there. Somebody please offer some advice.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

Find a lease. Some are only like 200 dollars for the whole year... and many have really really good hunting.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

There will still be deer there unless they'll be logging during hunting season.Just have to change with it.After the summer different plants will grow.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Spike

that stinks man. i can feel your pain though. i don't have any private property to hunt on so all i can do is go w/the public land. good luck to you.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

There may be more deer while they are logging. To some deer a chain saw sounds like a dinner bell. I've seen it more than once.

I'd talk with the loggers before I'd give up on the spot.

Bob
Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Logged over areas usually have more deer than the timbered areas just have to hunt them different .
Old 08-26-2009, 02:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Id use this to your advantage. If you can find an area on or around the property they wont be logging you should find deer there. The chainsaws wont bother the deer one bit. I have cut wood and trees down in the past and had deer come within 30 yards and watch us. Its a non threatening sound. Deer are curious creatures. What I would do is talk to the contractor and have him show you the areas they will be logging. The trees to be cut should be marked with Red X's then they should also have blue X's where they are stoping. Ive done some logging in the past and this is how it should be done. But it depends on if the crew knows what they are doing or not.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
Id use this to your advantage. If you can find an area on or around the property they wont be logging you should find deer there. The chainsaws wont bother the deer one bit. I have cut wood and trees down in the past and had deer come within 30 yards and watch us. Its a non threatening sound. Deer are curious creatures. What I would do is talk to the contractor and have him show you the areas they will be logging. The trees to be cut should be marked with Red X's then they should also have blue X's where they are stoping. Ive done some logging in the past and this is how it should be done. But it depends on if the crew knows what they are doing or not.
This is good advice. Had a similiar situation a few years ago and the deer shifted only a slight distance. This shouldn't be as bad as you thought for this season.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Last year, one week before bow season opened the piece i had planned to do most of my hunting all of a sudden was gettin logged. I tried to move around and hunt a few small areas they werent working but nothing, and i mean nothing!!! The spot where i had scouted all summer and seen numerous deer along with a few nice bucks had become a wasteland. I moved everywhere and saw nothing not to mention no pics on any of my trailcams at any time. THESE DEER WERE GONE!!! On a bright note tho-i went to check this place out a few days ago and it is LOADED with deer. The area they logged is completely overgrown now and the deer are loving it. Anyway hope it works out better this year for you than what happened to me last year. GL
Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with what most said about not giving up on that area. Hopefully, it's large enough to relocate. The deer were there for a reason and logging usually does not move them out. They should move over to other places in the same area. This has been true in areas I have hunted.

The deer will still need cover, security, a food source, ect. I doubt they will venture into the new cuttings during daylight hours. As soon as most of the cutting is completed and new growth begins (probably next year) it will attract deer like a magnet.

Begin a new scouting plan to determine where the deer have relocated to. They should be close by.
Good Luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.