Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to use deer decoys

Old 08-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

As #1predator stated... the bucks approach other bucks head on and they approach doe from behind so..... Place your buck decoy with his head facing you or angling toward your direction that way the buck has to come between you and your decoy to approach head to head. For doe decoys do just the opposite.. place her butt toward you. By placing the decoys in these positions the buck will offer you a quartering away shot in order to engage the decoy. I wouldn't hunt with decoys from the ground and almost certainly not on public land. I would check out Deer Dander as a scent for the decoy and use a wick dipped in Golden Estrus or Code Blue and pin it to her butt during the rut. The sight of another buck is usually enough to draw the dominant bucks to the decoy.

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 08-31-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by crashcoop
Do you place them in the open or at the edge of brush ? thanks . joe in okla
hey Joe,
Like some of the other guy's said,it depends on where you hunt.
On private land, or public...as for public land you have already received great advise about that.On private land it depends on evening hunts or morning.
In morning's when deer are coming off the field I'm already in the woods and use a 2d Renzo's decoy(a buck that I can take the antlers off to make it a doe cost me $40 w/shipping) set up around white oak tree's (around 30 yards out from my stand)where the deer feed a lot before bedding down,and not so much around "the edge of brush" with a 2d decoy you only have the 2 sides it can be seen from.Definatly add a "rag" for a tail with sent on it!!
But, on a evening hunt I set it up about 100 yards from where the deer normally come into the field, about 75 or so yards out in front of me.At both locations I set it out so i can see it broadside.

Last edited by #1Predator; 09-03-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Spike

I haven't hunted public land for several years . The area I have in mind is a field about 8-10 acres in size . Trees all around . One small bunch in the open next to a pond is where I have a ladder stand and a corn feeder . It is very good for does but the buck are kind of shy in comming out in the open . Just wanting them to be better visible . My eye and hearing aren't that good anymore . trying to gain a better edge . I have had this place sinc 1983 and have taken several deer [ bucks and does ] as some of my friends have . I have let several walk for verrious reasons . The big one seems to stay just out of reach . I see parts of him and then , nothing . What a rush . joe in okla

Is there life after hunting ?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Spike

I used a 3D deer decoy on private property a couple of times.I placed it in the open but about 10yds from the woods.I have not had any luck with it so far.
I also only use it during archery season.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use my decoy(doe) during the rut with Tinks scent sticks.One other thing if the decoy is close to you a good grunt tube helps,I use a true talker.I had a yearling come in and didn't want her to bust me and my decoy,I doe grunted to her and she bedded down right there.