Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

always leaving in the winter

Old 08-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default always leaving in the winter

the deer on our property always seem to leave during the winter we own 80 acres of crp land. but we do have small patches of trees. i think its because the snow is deep or something but if i were to keep feeding them corn from now on do you think they would stick around all winter. what about some kind of deer attractant. what do you think. do you think that would work or not. and if you do what deer attractnat would you suggest i was thinking either bucker-up or buck grub.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Deer will always prefer cover over food so a plot will do no good if there isn't shelter
RC
Old 08-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Someone correct me if i am wrong here but i am not sure that unless you plan on providing all the nutritional needs of all deer you attract at this time of year it is such a good idea to be baiting. Probably not the best for the health of the heard. They know where they need to be to get through the winter and theres reasons why they are not on your property then. Evidently there is a lack of cover-food or both.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Spike

Sounds alot like our property in WI 108 acres of CRP grass and just a small section of woods marsh maybe 2 acres.Left acre of corn and acre or so of soybeans up hoping to keep the deer around deer didnt stay.Not sure if it was becauseof the early and large amount of snow we had last year but in spring when snow melted the deer found our plots we left and picked them clean in weeks.Guess it cant hurt to leave a food source up so the deer become aware of another food source as long as food plots are a long term goal.In most cases in WI deer will winter in larger marshes and woodlots.Not really sure but under CRP you are allowed to put a certain % of acres into food plots check what is allowed and if you can.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Spike

Do you hunt in the winter? Sorry, Canadian here, don't know your seasons, just wondering.

If you dont, who cares. They come back every year so why does it matter where they go?

Deer yard togeather in the winter. They go where they need to go to survive. It happens all over the continent. My family hunts 1500 acres and you wont see a deer from mid december to april on any of it.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blasted_saber
Do you hunt in the winter? Sorry, Canadian here, don't know your seasons, just wondering.

If you dont, who cares. They come back every year so why does it matter where they go?

Deer yard togeather in the winter. They go where they need to go to survive. It happens all over the continent. My family hunts 1500 acres and you wont see a deer from mid december to april on any of it.
All good points, you beat me to it!
I agree 100%
Old 08-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

You can plant 5-10 acres of apsens and poplar trees, they grow fast, and give decent shelter, plant these strategically, if you have an aerial I could help, I used to make management plans up for hunting groups for their properties.