Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
To go along with the Shoot or dont shoot? thread >

To go along with the Shoot or dont shoot? thread

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To go along with the Shoot or dont shoot? thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default To go along with the Shoot or dont shoot? thread

So to all of you that have read the to shoot? or not shoot thread this is to go along with it since i asked this question on that thread and no one answered it

I kind of have a question to go along with this post. Say the buck was on your side of the river/creek whatever it is and you shoot the deer it runs onto the other side. Your walking out and see that occassional guy on the 4wheeler. So you stop him and he has no idea who owns the land,he was trespassing on the ground himself. So you ask around find out the guy who owns the property lives in another state. You find out he doesnt hunt it and no one in the area has any contact information for the individual. What would you do then?

And in my opinion if you go get the deer its ethical but its still trespassing and would be the same thing as shooting the deer on the other side. What if you shot the deer on the other side and he rand to yours. It almost all plays out the same to me.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

I do not think this is compareable to the other post and i was one who replied i wouldve shot it on the other side. I would be shocked if you could prove to the proper authorities you shot the deer on yer property and tried to find the landowner and you were not able to retrieve your deer. That being said i would just go get it and keep my mouth closed. Definitely not the same as the other hypothetical scenario imo tho.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Iowa we can go on private property to retreive game that we shot on property that we have permission to hunt. It is still the right thing to let the landowner know that you will be going on his property to get your game, if he can be contacted.
We do have no trespassing laws for hunting on someones land but to pick-up and claim your game its not illegal. Its just the right thing to do.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Retrieving on some one's property is different than shooting it on some one else's property.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm definitely not going to leave it on the other side for the other trespasser to take. I'm not going to let the animal go to waste.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

i would ask the other trespasser with the 4 wheeler to help me get it out. a 4 wheeler beats dragging any day.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

It always helps to know the owners of the ajoining propertys. Then you can set up some guidelines when things like that happen...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Spike

You gotta go get it you owe it to the animal you just shot more than you do the law of man.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get permission ahead of time.
Just like scouting, hanging stands, etc - all part of preparing for the hunt.

Steve