HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Mast crop (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/301567-mast-crop.html)

crokit 08-24-2009 05:12 PM

Mast crop

I can't recall when we've had a white oak acorn crop as heavy as this years. Anyone else noticing this? I'm hoping the beechnut crop in the 'dacks is as heavy.:deer::deer:

rh160kid 08-24-2009 05:26 PM

Same here in southeastern NY. Ufortuneately heavy doesnt always mean its good to hunt. A few years ago we had a heavy mast crop and it was one of the toughest years i ever had-i had to move alot. I finally found one oak grove the deer were hammering. They would be there when i arrived at dark and then come right back and never leave. They would bed right there. Everyone complained that year they saw no deer. after watching those deer day after day never move from that group of oaks i quickly saw why people said that. So many acorns there was no need to go anywhere!

VAhuntr 08-24-2009 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by rh160kid (Post 3418390)
Same here in southeastern NY. Ufortuneately heavy doesnt always mean its good to hunt. A few years ago we had a heavy mast crop and it was one of the toughest years i ever had-i had to move alot. I finally found one oak grove the deer were hammering. They would be there when i arrived at dark and then come right back and never leave. They would bed right there. Everyone complained that year they saw no deer. after watching those deer day after day never move from that group of oaks i quickly saw why people said that. So many acorns there was no need to go anywhere!

This has been my experience as well.

WIbuckchaser 08-24-2009 07:29 PM

The white oaks around my field have quite a few. I am not sure of anywhere else. I need to get out scouting a little bit before season.

wis_bow_huntr 08-25-2009 03:37 AM

Glad someone has some acrons, we have very few this year on our property. But that should be better than having a zillion of them. the deer will have to move more to find them. We had the best crops ever the last couple years and the hunting just sucked because the deer hardley moved to eat.

rh160kid 08-25-2009 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr (Post 3418747)
Glad someone has some acrons, we have very few this year on our property. But that should be better than having a zillion of them. the deer will have to move more to find them. We had the best crops ever the last couple years and the hunting just sucked because the deer hardley moved to eat.

Im definitely with you on this one-i hate heavy mast crops. Although it is good for the heard. Plenty of fat for winter from eatin acorns.

krub6b 08-25-2009 05:27 AM

Looks like acorns are everywhere on our farm :cry: could be a tough season

srwshooter 08-25-2009 05:53 AM

i really think a acorn mtn deer taste better then a corn fed deer.

i agree that heavy acorn crop can make for tough hunting,looks like here in va. its been plenty dry and our acorns will be scattered. the ones that have fallin at my house are rotten.

Jimmy S 08-25-2009 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by rh160kid (Post 3418390)

Great point. A heavy mast can make for tough hunting. Not always but it seems in past years when we had little acorns/beechnuts falling deer sighting were almost always higher. This also applies to our bear season as well. More bear are shot when feed is scarce and they have to continouosly be on the move.

Firehawk7309 08-25-2009 01:49 PM

Really heavy here in Kentucky this year. Looks like this year will be alot of fine tuning and time on stand. Three years ago it was like this and hunts ended up being sun up to sun down affairs. Tags got filled, just took a little more effort.