Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
A big thank you to the guy who destroyed my feeder... >

A big thank you to the guy who destroyed my feeder...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A big thank you to the guy who destroyed my feeder...

Old 08-24-2009, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

i have 2 timed feeders on my 300 acre farm. it helps keep deer on my property because the intense pressure around us and the trespassers usually run everything out of the county. We use our feeders to shoot hogs, and we still hunt deer off trails and out of trees. i grew up hunting off feeders, i personally lost the excitement for this but i understand that some people still get just as giddy as me when they hunt under feeders. If this is what makes you happy and its legal, why the heck not? just dont forget to shoot your does while your at it. HA

-Good Day, Good Huntin!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

Check out the profile:

"stabnslab_WI has not made any friends yet "

I wonder why!!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

lol. go figure. that being said to answer the original post. It shouldnt cause much of a problem. I see bear fairly often while hunting and consistently take deer. It might make the deer a little more nervous tho.

One time I saw five doe and a six point buck run out across a field I was hunting by. I let them go because I wasn't shooting doe yet and the buck wasn't what I was looking for. About thirty seconds later the buck ran back across the field, and than out comes a black bear with the buck about 0 paces behind him snorting the whole way. I wish I had a camera it had my chuckling for a good half hour and made me even more glad I passed on the buck, otherwise I wouldnt have gotten to see that!
Happy hunting and good luck!!
-Jake
Old 08-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slab one thing you don't understand in Florida the deer consider corn or deer feed a snack not the main coarse,they have feed all year long.No snow and very short winters.To them the feeders are just a snack.BUT the big bucks don't come to them except at night which is why I hunt there trails.I guess using my Tinks smoke sticks during the rut is wrong too?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love reading posts like this...."I'm right, your wrong..."I think there is an impartial party that dictates this scenerio - the law. As long as the hunting method is legal, whats the problem? Are people so vain as to impart their personal preference on others? Get over yourself. I don't hunt over a feeder but wouldn't knock someone who does. Hunting is meant to be enjoyable to the individual, if you don't like sombody elses method than don't try it.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd bet he'd be against hunting with dogs too, even if it is legal. Stab get a life, not everyone has to play by your self righteous rules.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Firehawk7309
I love reading posts like this...."I'm right, your wrong..."I think there is an impartial party that dictates this scenerio - the law. As long as the hunting method is legal, whats the problem? Are people so vain as to impart their personal preference on others? Get over yourself. I don't hunt over a feeder but wouldn't knock someone who does. Hunting is meant to be enjoyable to the individual, if you don't like sombody elses method than don't try it.
+1 good post
Old 08-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
Calm down, I guess you can call a corn field a food plot but its eighty acres not a 5x5 area. And I made my great, great grandpa plant those oak trees so that one day I could hunt them. I guess I can't see the purpose of hunting over a corn pile or feeder. That isn't hunting in my eyes but maybe it is in yours. So do what you have to do and good luck this year.
Okay, I'll tell you what my eyes see. You hunt an eighty acre cornfield? I don't see a 350yd shot with a 30-06 to be "hunting." You don't need scent control, you dont't even need camo. Anyone with a good rifle and high powered scope can pick off a standing target in the right conditions. As for the oak trees, try hunting them before the acorns fall, but then you wouldn't see any deer there. So you wait until acorns fall because they attract deer? Where's the sport in shooting deer while they are eating in a thirty foot circle around a tree?

If going by your cornfield standard, most here could sit in their kitchen and shoot deer out of the window...but then someone would not consider that hunting either.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Beezer
Okay, I'll tell you what my eyes see. You hunt an eighty acre cornfield? I don't see a 350yd shot with a 30-06 to be "hunting." You don't need scent control, you dont't even need camo. Anyone with a good rifle and high powered scope can pick off a standing target in the right conditions. As for the oak trees, try hunting them before the acorns fall, but then you wouldn't see any deer there. So you wait until acorns fall because they attract deer? Where's the sport in shooting deer while they are eating in a thirty foot circle around a tree?

If going by your cornfield standard, most here could sit in their kitchen and shoot deer out of the window...but then someone would not consider that hunting either.
Well said.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Spike

I don't understand why so many people are against hunting over feeders. I live in Pennsylvania and it is illegal to bait game thrity days prior to the season opener and throughout the the season. I however do put out feed during the summer and winter months to see what deer I have roaming the area along with what bucks happen to survive hunting season. About 95% of the photo's i get are during the night time hours. I truly don't believe that baiting game severely increases your oportunity of harvesting an animal. Really whats the difference from hunting over a corn field to placing corn in a pile?? If you want to spend the money to keep refilling the pile more power to you. I on the other hand am a poor college student and would much rather hunt over a corn field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.