HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   If you had to Choose... WWYC? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/301076-if-you-had-choose-wwyc.html)

Ava 08-19-2009 04:38 PM

If you had to Choose... WWYC?

A 243 bolt or a 35 lever? I have the option between the two as it stands right now.

I've been shooting the 243 for a couple days now. I like it and the kick is minimal but it's a little heavy for me. I find myself wavering a bit while trying to zero in on my target, I literally have to prop myself up against a tree or go down on one knee to keep it steady and I still wobble around with it. :alien:

My son was given the 35 for this season. He says he doesn't like the safety and dad says it kicks a lot more but says ds would be fine with it because he is a bit bigger than me at 14 years old, 5'7" and almost 200 lbs.

The 35 is light for me compared to the 243. I feel like I could hold it steady on the target for a lot longer than the 243. I like it just by holding it but I haven't shot it yet, maybe this Sunday.

WWYC? Will the 35 put me on my arse? :eek2:

x-mountie 08-19-2009 04:54 PM

Ava: It could be that the "wavering" your experienceing is just the natural movement of the scope on target. It's virtually impossible to hole a scoped rifle "dead on" without some movement. Absolutely the best means is to have a good rest for the rifle or a pair of shooting sticks.

The only way to see how that 35 will affect you is to try it. If the stock is a good fit for you and you feel comfartable, then try taking a shot. You never know, you might handle it well. The main thing is to use the rifle your most comfortable with.

bigbulls 08-19-2009 06:23 PM

The 35 Remington barely kicks more than the .243.

It is essentially equal the the 7mm-08 and slightly less than a .308.

Here is a rifle recoil table that you can reference.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

DeerandbearhoG 08-19-2009 07:10 PM

I owned a marlin 35rem for a short time once, and I currently own a 7-08. IMO the 200gr 35 kicked alot more, though it was an older model w/ no recoil pad. Also a heavier gun will be easier to keep steady than a lighter gun,not to mention a lighter 35 rem will have considerably more recoil than a heavier 243 I think.

NITEHAWKJS 08-19-2009 07:24 PM

The only way to know is to try it to see if you can handle the kick as it should have more than the 243. You can always add a recoil pad if it doesn't make the stock too long for you.

wis_bow_huntr 08-20-2009 03:06 AM

I have a 35 remington model 760 and that thing is deadly. Dont listen to anyone that says they dont kick more than a 243, the 243 is a cap gun compared to the 35 but its more tame than my 308rem model 760. The 35 is a terrific gun and if I had to chose between the two the 35 would be the first one in my truck and in the stand with me.

Ava 08-20-2009 03:38 AM

Thanks.

Dad says it kicks pretty good. The gun was meant for ds but like I said, he doesn't like the safety <i.e if he see's a deer and and get's a good aim and doesn't shoot, he will have to put the safety back on>. I tried it when dad first brought it over and it slipped past my thumb two times, I said, that would have went off and he said yes. :jaw:

Dad says I can take the 35 and let ds use the 243 or he will give ds a 20 guage with pumpkin balls but it still has the same safety. Ds likes the safety on the 243. In my mind, I'd rather suffer the kick and master the safety than let ds feel uncomfortable with a safety he doesn't like.

I figured I would really be the only one to answer this question and I won't really know until I shoot it myself. I think if I can shoot it, considering the kick, I could practice using the safety, get use to the kick and let ds use the 243.

We're s'pose to go out on Sunday. I'm gonna giv'er a go and see what the 35 is all about. That's the only way I will know. Thanks for everything fellow hunters! I'll let you all know what I decide.

UncleNorby 08-20-2009 03:40 AM

It sounds to me like you are a small-framed person, and the 243 is unwieldy for you. The Marlin is a probably a shorter gun and therefore you feel more steady with it.

Will you be walking, stillhunting or driving deer, or will you be primarily stand hunting? The weight of the gun won't matter much on a stand, and a good rest will take care of the wobbles. Do you plan on shooting longer ranges (beyond say 175-200 yds) where the 243 would be best suited? If you're not primarily a stand hunter and don't need to shoot too far, I'd go with the lever and put a low power fixed or variable, wide angle scope, or even a peep sight on it.

A 35 Rem is a great deer gun. The Marlin lever will have some kick but it is not too bad. Go ahead and shoot it and if it suits your needs better by all means use it.

UncleNorby 08-20-2009 03:44 AM

I'm assuming you have an older Marlin with only a half-**** safety. If that's the case, you can add a hammer spur. They are often added if the gun is scoped, so you don't get your thumb caught between the scope and the hammer. That will give you a lot more to hang onto and it won't slip as easily. Marlin might even send you one for nothing if you call them.

timbercruiser 08-20-2009 04:32 AM

.243 would be my choice.