HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Problem With Neighbor's Chickens (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/300990-problem-neighbors-chickens.html)

Florida Outlander 08-19-2009 04:48 AM

Problem With Neighbor's Chickens

Hello All,
I recently set up one of my deer feeders in the woods behind my house. This morning I walked back there to check my trail cam and saw 7 chickens running away. These chickens belong to the neighbor who lives behind me. I've dealt with him before, as his horses have gotten out and were hanging out in my yard on several occasions. This guy is a real class act. Does't really care what his animals are doing. When I brought the horses to his attention, he just kinda shrugged saying "Yeah, they get bored sometimes and go for a walk" :eek: He has made no effort since then to keep it from happening again. Now his chickens are coming onto my property and eating all the corn the feeder spits out before the deer have a chance to get it.

My question is...should I attempt to communicate with him again or should I just load my shotgun with birdshot and fill the freezer with chicken breasts?

Any advise would be greatly appritiated.

Kind Regard,
Axel

Champlain Islander 08-19-2009 05:13 AM

I would talk with him again and let him know that the chickens are eating your corn. Keeping a civil relationship with him is most important since the problems could get much worse than losing a little bit of corn. The responsibility is on him to keep his stock on his own property and he should be aware of that. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with some neighboring dogs and after repeated problems with them getting on to my property I had a lawyer draft a letter telling him that he was in violation of town leash laws and that the dogs weren't welcome on my property. A copy was sent to the town and suddenly he had a contractor there and spent thousands fencing in his whole yard. The law was on my side and if he had co-operated he wouldn't have had to spend the bucks to guarantee that the dogs stay on his place. Chickens in the freezer would be a last resort but it sounds like the guy is a moron who would just keep buying them.

SWThomas 08-19-2009 05:21 AM

I agree with CI. I would try to keep it civil as long as you can. If there's no change, get the law involved.

lone cedar farm 08-19-2009 05:23 AM

If your feeder has a timer set it for just after dark after the chickens go to roost, then I would just tell him in a good way to keep his animals off your property. If that doesnt work call animal control and let them handle it, they can dish out some hefty fines!

Good luck.......I hate stupid neighbors! :hit:

Jimmy S 08-19-2009 07:23 AM

I'll let you borrow my English Springer Spaniel...no more chickens, no more problems.
(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.... :>)

Seriously, CI has the right idea. You owe it to your neighbor to at least talk to him about what's going on. Hopefully, he'll keep his chickens on his property. If not, he must understand it will be unacceptable for this to continue. You have rights and options and hopefully it won't get to that point.

Good Luck

Lanse couche couche 08-19-2009 07:32 AM

If those chickens are ranging far enough out in the woods to be around deer feeders, i would assume that the varmints, owls, and hawks will take care of them a lot quicker than animal control could.

wis_bow_huntr 08-19-2009 07:35 AM

Theres an easy solution, stop feeding the deer for a while and the chickens will stop goign to the feeder, if not, then shoot on site.

superstrutter 08-19-2009 07:38 AM

Fried chicken, purple hull peas, collard greens and mashed potatoes and gravy is hard to beat.

uncle matt 08-19-2009 08:37 AM

I'm sorry but you already know what this guy is about from past dealings with him. IMO he going to look at any complaint you have about the same way he dealt with the horse issue.

Personally I would take a couple chickens at a time and fry them up. If he doesn't get the hint as their numbers dwindle then he will eventually lose them all.

It is not your responsibility to fatten up his chickens for his benefit. The way I see it is if you are fattening them up it best be for your benefit.

hossdaniels 08-19-2009 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by superstrutter (Post 3412528)
Fried chicken, purple hull peas, collard greens and mashed potatoes and gravy is hard to beat.

My thoughts exactly. :violin::fighting0007: