Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Boone and Crockett size bucks on any property??? >

Boone and Crockett size bucks on any property???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Boone and Crockett size bucks on any property???

Old 08-18-2009, 06:01 PM

Default Boone and Crockett size bucks on any property???

I saw this on ebay. Have any of you ever heard of this handbook?

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Pond-Approac...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 08-19-2009, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

From the description, it sounds like he is going to tell you to put a high fence around your property.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Canned venison.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:08 AM

Yeah...looks like you are right. It's just that I have been trying to get some larger bucks on my place for the last 35 years. We have 300+ acres and we try to shoot only 3 year old plus bucks and older does. In all that time the largest buck we have gotten is a 119 inch 8 point! We have 30 acres of food plots we even have one neighbor that owns 500 acres somewhat on board..they only shoot 6 points and up. Everything else around is state ground in which it is strictly brown down!! We just can't seem to keep the two year old bucks on the property. They all die on the state ground. I would really like to shoot or at least see a 130 inch on the property is that so much to ask??? If anyone has any ideas please tell me. I feel like I have tried almost everything..even high fencing is starting to look like an option.....
Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard tis before, that a booner whitetail is the easiest animal to take to qualify for the bc system, psssh, not so IMO!

I've been on 1 black bear hunt, my bear almost went BC, went on my dads buffalo hunt, his buff goes BC, etc..etc...

live in one of if not the greatest whitetail states, and hunt a quality area with quality bucks roaming the region, not sure about our property, im sure a bc passes through the prop annually.

its one thing to know a bc exists on yoru land, its another to harvest him, also with trail cams etc...we really see or catch 140+ deeron it, I think our land is more of a pass through kinda place.

We pass countless small bucks too, I think pressure/trespassers don't help either. If it were so easy we'd be doing better IMO. But we're kinda limited in our approach, least on this farm. If you don't own the land...
Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Food is great and is indeed a necessity...

However, mature bucks stay bedded +90% of the daylight hours.
I would rather hunt the staging areas were "BUCKS" are bedding and save the food plots for the rut!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Northernboghunter
Yeah...looks like you are right. It's just that I have been trying to get some larger bucks on my place for the last 35 years. We have 300+ acres and we try to shoot only 3 year old plus bucks and older does. In all that time the largest buck we have gotten is a 119 inch 8 point! We have 30 acres of food plots we even have one neighbor that owns 500 acres somewhat on board..they only shoot 6 points and up. Everything else around is state ground in which it is strictly brown down!! We just can't seem to keep the two year old bucks on the property. They all die on the state ground. I would really like to shoot or at least see a 130 inch on the property is that so much to ask??? If anyone has any ideas please tell me. I feel like I have tried almost everything..even high fencing is starting to look like an option.....

The amount of land you state, between the two properties, is to small to KEEP deer there, especially when the second new moon after the fall solstice is upon us.. { Some folks will get that, lol }. If you want a better chance at it, create/designate a huge portion of your property to sanctuary with almost impenetrable cover. It will at least improve your chances, IMHO

P.S. Your neighbor shooting 6pt. and up, isn't doing you any favors, though.

Last edited by crokit; 08-19-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

whether he's a b&c or not means nothing to me,i'm hunting the biggest bucks on any property i hunt on. once i kill the dominate buck i'm happy,he may score 160 or 110. i don't really care. i don't use trail cams,feed protien or anything else,i just enjoy the hunt and the suprise when a monster comes thru the crosshairs. my main thing is to be there,i will every day for a solid month if i have to. during the rut i'm there everyday ,all day.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:43 PM

I agree it's wonderful getting the biggest buck there is no matter how big he may be, but I always feel a tad sad that the small bucks we see never make it to their full potential. I mean seeing a true Boone and Crockett is almost a miracle and I understand that. But shouldn't a Pope and Young animal be at least possiable in a few decades of effort and more money put into it than I would like to admit. Alot of the property is to thick of regrowth to even walk through is that what you mean by cover?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

300 acres is not enough to manage with any degree of success as far as producing BC bucks. That is not even 1/2 of a square mile. When a deer can range 3 or 4 square miles, you have way to much ground going against you to "manage" for big booner deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.