HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   visiting your stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/300878-visiting-your-stand.html)

jake1818 08-18-2009 08:24 AM

visiting your stand?

How much is too much for visiting and working on your stand during the week, i also have my trail cam out by my stand and would say i go out there 3-4 times a week..too much?

NCRemington700 08-18-2009 08:40 AM

Yes that's way too much. The season is getting too close to be spending that much time there. Honestly...how much work can their actually be? You should be able to clear all your shooting lanes in a matter of hours, not days.

nchawkeye 08-18-2009 08:50 AM

I go by my stand every day, in fact I have 3 that I go by...

They are in the garage...:s2:

I carry my climber in and go up...That's the best situation, you can always hunt a fresh area...

With a tower or ladder stand the most important thing is location...Once it's set up and maybe a little trimming done there is no need to go in and see if it's still there...Put the camera out before you put the stand up...

If the stand is in the right location then you are just educating the deer by checking on it before you are ready to hunt...

Jimmy S 08-18-2009 08:56 AM

I agree 100% with NCR, especially this time of year. Our Archery Season starts in less than a month, so stomping (yes, that's what the deer think) 4-5 days a week can never help. There's nothing wrong in checking things out once a week but when the season gets closer, your job is to let the deer feel comfortable and unthreatened.

I always remind myself that no matter how careful I am, the deer will always know I was in his woods. A day or 2 later, things seems to settle down but if you invade their home range too often, it will certainly make them aware that man has entered his woods. You want to hunt a deer that does no realize he is being hunted. Once he knows he's being hunted, the odds increase dramatically in his favor. Don't give him any more advantage than he already has.

Good Luck

jake1818 08-18-2009 09:06 AM

Alright, thanks for the replies guys. I plan to go out one more time next week and cut some limbs, and then wait for the season opener!!

SWThomas 08-18-2009 09:24 AM

Once a week just to check the Cuddeback.

4evrhtn 08-18-2009 11:08 AM

I have cameras out and only check them when I think the batteries are almost dead. As for the feeders I use.. I fill them once a week. I spray down every time I go to my stands and only go there when absolutely necessary.

BUCKMARK 08-18-2009 11:52 AM

Our bow opener is Oct.1st. Planning on 2 more trips to check the cam before the season starts...

Hunting Kuk 08-18-2009 02:05 PM

You can never be their to much if anything it would help get the deer used to you and you knew smell's

SWThomas 08-18-2009 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hunting Kuk (Post 3411665)
You can never be their to much if anything it would help get the deer used to you and you knew smell's

I think your logic is a little flawed.