Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
At what age does your child tag along?? >

At what age does your child tag along??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

At what age does your child tag along??

Old 08-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Spike

Default At what age does your child tag along??

Someone asked about a good age to get your son or daughter in a hunters ed class and start hunting. But when do you think a kid is ready to just sit with you and actually watch a deer get shot? I know a lot of guys will say it depends on maturity but what is a good age to consider it? I have a 9 y/o nephew that is actually very mature for his age and he's obsessed with hunting. I know he would love to go out with me but I'm a little hesitant because I'm not sure how he'll handle watching a deer die. What do you think????
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Spike

If he's obsessed with hunting, he has probably watched hunting on television. He is at least okay with the idea of killing a deer and watching it die. However, as we all know so well, it's MUCH different in person.

My personal biggest concern with a youngster would be their attention span and ability to sit quietly for long periods of time.

As far as watching a deer die, it all depends on the individual. I think he will be fine on the basis that he already has a strong interest in hunting.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

I started my kids off young. Taking them for squirrel and rabbit hunting for short periods.
Kids have short attention spans and once they're done, they are done, lol
When you take them out for the 1st time deer hunting, I would suggest doing an evening hunt of around 2 1/2 hours. Evening hunts normally have nicely(warmer) weather than the cold crisp morning you usually get during rifle season.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Well, my oldest is just checking the trail cams for now, maybe next year.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

I plan to take my 7-year old with me during Gun season one afternoon to sit with me on the ground. I unfortunately do not have a 2 person stand I could use.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:47 PM

I had my son in the woods at 4. He went to hunters ed class when he was 10 killed his first deer that fall.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Spike

It depends on the kid. I have three kids - two boys. The oldest is going with me and actually pulling the trigger for the first time this year. He's 10 and has hunted anything he could around the yard with the pellet gun. He probably could have gone at a much younger age. My 8 year old can't sit still to save his life. I will take him at age 10 also, but I don't have high hopes.

So, it depends on the individual, but it sounds like your nephew is a good candidate.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

He should be ok with going hunting at that age. I would not plan on a long sit for the first few times as kids tend to get bored. Carry a quiet game, radio with ear phones or book for him just in case.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:25 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

My son started out dove hunting with me when he was 3. A good dove field can keep there attention but when they are ready to go you better pack it up b/c you don't want them to have a bad exerience. I took up trapping too so that he could tag along to check them. He shot his first coon at 3, first squirrel at 4, and had killed a rio grande and eastern turkey at age 6. Frogging is another great way to get them involved too. My son loves to frog, we caught over 100 this summer. This fall he is gearing up to try and kill his first deer. Good luck with your child, it is some of the best memories you will ever have.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HuntingKS
It depends on the kid. I have three kids - two boys. The oldest is going with me and actually pulling the trigger for the first time this year. He's 10 and has hunted anything he could around the yard with the pellet gun. He probably could have gone at a much younger age. My 8 year old can't sit still to save his life. I will take him at age 10 also, but I don't have high hopes.

So, it depends on the individual, but it sounds like your nephew is a good candidate.
if he cant sit still try takin him upland hunting like for pheasent or grouse hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.