Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Droppin em on the spot

Old 08-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Spike

Default Droppin em on the spot

What part of the deer do you aim for to try to drop them in their tracks? I will be shooting a .25-06 and am curious on the most efficient spot to aim to try to eliminate tracking. I know you cannot always achieve this but it would be nice when it happens. Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Well, from my experience the high shoulder shot, I have shot several deer that way and NONE have taken another step. If you can break them down they can't run...
Old 08-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Spike

Default Hey

yup right in the shoulder. will ruin a little meat but they will go down on the spot !!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

A high shoulder or high lung shot either does it...As will a neck shot...With the neck shot, don't hold right below the head as the head is moving, hold where the neck joins the shoulder...

A shot to the brain also does this, but I hate to mention because some have had bad experiences because they didn't know where to hold or hit in the wrong area...
Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Nothing works 100% of time except for shots to the brain or a shot that breaks the spinal cord, both are small targets.

Personally, I try to drive my shot thru the opposite shoulder joint. Even if they run, they don't go very far.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

The little ball stops em cold if you are 100% about pulling off your part. I usually shoot for the big ball.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

i shoot for the pump station if at all possible. some like the high shoulder shot but if the animal doesn't go down right away there's a chance it could be lost.if your bullet goes thru without taking out the spine or the lungs,then the animal won't bleed much on the outside and make tracking very hard. a heart shot will always bleed ,they may run til they bleed but you will be able to track it easier.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

As others have said, the shoulder will drop them...can't run on broken legs. They may slide on their belly, pushing themselves along with their back legs, but I have never had one do this for more than a few yards.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Shoulder/neck shot. Has worked out great for me so far.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by srwshooter
i shoot for the pump station if at all possible. some like the high shoulder shot but if the animal doesn't go down right away there's a chance it could be lost.if your bullet goes thru without taking out the spine or the lungs,then the animal won't bleed much on the outside and make tracking very hard. a heart shot will always bleed ,they may run til they bleed but you will be able to track it easier.
Hydrostatic shock resulting from most all rifles SGs and ML will break that deer down. Smaller cal rifles like a 243 might make the high shoulder an iffy shot at medium ranges over 50 yards or more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.