Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Homemade deer cart suggestions? >

Homemade deer cart suggestions?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade deer cart suggestions?

Old 08-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Spike

Default Homemade deer cart suggestions?

i just got this at the flea market for $15. any suggestions on how to make it stonger and more useable for transport of gear and hopefully a deer.

thanks Josh
Old 08-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Make a pattern of it, and make one with stronger material.
And sell it at a yard sale.

It design looks like it would do fine , If it were made out of stronger materal.

JMHO
Old 08-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll find that a copy of that will be better suited for golf clubs than deer. Center of gravity wouldn't be correct with that type of set up, IMHO. Through the years I've tried numerous commercial, and made a few myself. Some of the commercial actually are more work than actual dragging. Best I have found are patterned after a " goat cart ". Example of them can be found on e-bay. I built/rigged a smaller version of one, and it works great on a trail such as a fire trail or a canoe portage.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Spike

i used the tires from the original cart, but found a stonger frame. I think this one will hold a big buck!

josh
Old 08-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you could stiffen it up with some conduit. You have any electrician buddys that could bend some conduit for you? A couple more braces and I think it could handle a good sized whitetail.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

Find an old wheel chair @ a flea market, one with solid tires, get some 3/4" angle iron, and then you can make one that will also colapse for easy transport and storage. Me and my Dad are building some @ the moment. the basic wheel chair frame colapses to lay flat and the wheels are large enough diameter to roll easy over any terain. The frames on the wheel chairs are STRONG but suprisingly light. it's all in the design. Yours looks a tad on the light side but looks may be decieving. On yours, I would build the rest with 1/2"-3/4" angle iron. Do it in a way that it helps the integrity of the rest of the frame. Some spots on your original frame may benefir from 1/4" angle iron laid along the tubing and welded. Also, when building you might take into consideration the average dressed weight of deer in your are. Deer carts in Florida probably wont have to carry near the weight of one in Alberta. If nothing else, you got wheels and bearings to use on a complete other frame if the metal on yours is too light. If it's thick enough wall to weld with an arc welder set @ 40-60 amps or a wire welder, it's thick enough for a deer cart! As long as the design distributes the weight and stress properly.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ideally, you want the majority of the weight your hauling to be on or behind the axle. The cart will almost seem to push it's self. I'd look into extending that area rearward a bit.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Re-frame it with 1" square Tubing......
Old 08-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by crokit
Ideally, you want the majority of the weight your hauling to be on or behind the axle. I'd look into extending that area rearward a bit.
Like crokit said extend it more behind the wheels. A little less of an angle with the platform too.

I had a deer cart once that had the wheels way back like that. It worked, but even with two people you couldn't go more than 50 yards before you had to stop and rest.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Spike

Rope... ..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.