Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Buckshot.. Is it for people who can't shoot? >

Buckshot.. Is it for people who can't shoot?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buckshot.. Is it for people who can't shoot?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only thing I ever used buck shot for feral cats that used to freak out my horses.
Other than that, I've used a bow since 1966, I've never harvested an animal with a gun. Oops I lied, I have shot some squirrels with a gun before, I'd rather use a bow on them too.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Allen Denton
Like said before, I am in a county that is buckshot only.
Man, that SUCKS! Would they let you use a muzzleloader?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well actually Hawkeye I have patterned buckshot with mutilple shotguns with differing chokes and if I'm jumping to conclusions it's based on over 30 years of hunting. I made no assumptions that a full choke on a specialized gun is they way to go. That's fact.

I've found a tight choke works better than modified, improved or cylinder bored but of course it's a deadly round under perfect situations but 99% of hunters use it incorrectly.

I guess if I was to jump to a conclusion it would be that you are one of the guys who use it because you can't shoot. I'm not looking for a "Golden BB" and I'm not interested in long tracking jobs due to poorly hit deer.

If your shooting buckshot thru a modified choke at 40 plus yards I would be thrilled to see what kind of pattern you come up with.
I sure a poll would weigh heavily in the favor of a SLUG put in the right spot over shot...

Ps... I have NO doubt that there are conditions that warrant the use of Buckshot..

Last edited by Planter; 08-16-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

In general, I would assume buckshot is prefered over a slug, but there are someplaces that slugs aren't allowed. Heavily populated areas where a slug could travel much farther after the shot then buckshot and present safety concerns is a big reason people use buckshot. So no, I wouldn't say it is just used by people who can't shoot, its a better and safer alternative in certain situations.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Spike

Some places here in VA (some eastern counties) buckshot is the only thing you can use. Even in some rifle counties I hunt, buckshot is popular and takes lots of deer.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

[quote=Planter;3409311]Well actually Hawkeye I have patterned buckshot with mutilple shotguns with differing chokes and if I'm jumping to conclusions it's based on over 30 years of hunting. I made no assumptions that a full choke on a specialized gun is they way to go. That's fact.

Planter, I'm not being sarcastic but want to ask you what you mean when referring to a "specialized gun". I was raised up hunting on some of the plantations in the Lowcountry of SC where slugs and centerfire rifles where prohibited. The only way to hunt some of this thick cover was with hounds and driving deer from horseback. So I guess that you can say that I have a lot of experience hunting with buckshot at reasonable distances. I'm just curious about the type of "specialized" gun that you are speaking of.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Spike

deff would rather use a slug for the distance factor
Old 08-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you know your limits it is very effective. My son ,who uses a 20 gauge, shot at 4 deer last year and killed three, missed one all together. He dropped a 98lb doe in her tracks and the other two bucks went less then 75 yards.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

For shots less than 40-50yds= a 3" or 3.5" 00B round is hard to beat, most deer don't take another step. It's definitely a doghunting load IMO
Old 08-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

As stated, many counties in particular states are buckshot only, so obviously it has nothing to do with the shooter. Here in Virginia, dog hunting is alive and well, and many hunt clubs only allow buckshot on many of their deer drives for the safety of the other hunters and the dogs. It has it's place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.