Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shoot? Or Don't Shoot?  What would you do? >

Shoot? Or Don't Shoot? What would you do?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoot? Or Don't Shoot? What would you do?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Omg............nobody shoot the damn deer. Its the wrong answear.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

Oklahoma. The "underdog" of big deer. I hope people keep thinkung that. That'll leave more for me to hunt! On my lil ol 100 acre spot, anything under 130" gets passed. My wife got a 155" 8pt last year with a 23 1/4" spread. Just in case you're wondering, it was on our side of the fence.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

Hey mccraddock, you might "appreciate" folks admitting they'd break the law, and trying to justify it. I don't. Like others, I find it demoralizing. I think I'll start a thread, "would you cheat with your best friends wife/girlfriend because she's hot". I'd love to know how many guys are BFs as well as poachers!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
have the proper scents out and blow a grunt call, and make a bit of noise, it is a river crossing, he'll come to you.
RR
no. id do everything i could to get him to come across. i would never shoot across a property line even if you think no one is there you never know. Plus its poaching
Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Dominant Buck

If you do and climb the fence, you're Trespassing..........Here if you shoot outside the boundary lines, it's illegal.........but, than again, how many do it every year?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by valor10
And I hope someday when you have your "own piece of paradise", some a-hole poaches and trespasses on YOUR land. You didn't mention the state you hunt? Why?
I live/hunt in NY. I based my answer to the original post that stated the land was not posted. I hunt with plenty of cops here and have had lengthy discussions with them about hunting land that is not posted. If there are no posted signs its pretty much fair game here, and you can bet you wont be the only one thats in there either. No posted signs is pretty much an invitation to hunt there around here. People that dont want people on their property should make it clear there is no trespassing-otherwise you mite as well put up a welcome sign. Again i am referring to where i live and the perception of unposted property by people that live here. Every place is different. And as for having people trespass where i hunt-it happens all the time. Countless times ive had people in my stands when i arrive, gut piles from other hunters, stolen stands and trail cams, deer shot by road hunters right underneath my stand, and the list goes on and on. All on "private" property where i had sole permission. It sucks but its unfortunately part of the game.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the explanation rh160kid. Problem is, the cops your hunting with appear to be oblivious to the very law they are suppose to uphold. Not a good example. The below quote is from the NY State Department of Enviormental Conservation.

Q. Must I post to keep people off my property?
A. No. Trespassing is illegal even on unposted property, unless it is unimproved, apparently unused and unfenced (or not otherwise enclosed to exclude intruders.) Even on vacant land, a written notice delivered in person (or by certified mail with a signed receipt, etc.) to any person, in the name of the landowner or authorized party, containing a description of the premises and a warning of restrictions which apply has the same effect, for that person, as if the land were posted with those restrictions. Likewise, anyone asked to leave the premises, posted or not, by the landowner, occupant or other authorized person, must do so immediately.
Your post is well taken though. It seems there is this prevalence by way too many hunters who show blatent disregard and disrespect for the rights and property of others. I recon its hard for a lot of folks to abide by the law, when so many refuse to. Good luck this year. Still don't make it right.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Valor beat me to it about NYS.
Just because something is accepted locally by those who want to justify trespassing, does not make it right or legal - just another justification. Bottom line is, unless your laws say differently (and even then its common courtesy), if you don't have permission, you don't go OR shoot over the line etc.

Steve

Last edited by SteveBNy; 08-24-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by valor10
Thanks for the explanation rh160kid. Problem is, the cops your hunting with appear to be oblivious to the very law they are suppose to uphold. Not a good example. The below quote is from the NY State Department of Enviormental Conservation.

Your post is well taken though. It seems there is this prevalence by way too many hunters who show blatent disregard and disrespect for the rights and property of others. I recon its hard for a lot of folks to abide by the law, when so many refuse to. Good luck this year. Still don't make it right.
Your post is accurate and i have read it many times and debated its very words with those that enforce those laws-but applied to the "hypothetical" place in the original post there was no mention of fences, land improvements, etc. From that very quote you posted it plainly says if unimproved, or and here is the key phrase, "apparently unused" it is not trespassing!! You cannot be arrested or charged with trespassing under these circumstances-thats my point. Asked to leave yes-charged with a crime-no!! Trust me-they can do nothing but ask you to leave. Now if you want to say there is a house there, posted signs, road-driveways etc and you go on it you might have a problem-and i stress might. Everyone needs to take into account there are things that are commonplace and for a better word "accepted" in certain areas. Thats my point-everyone grows up in different areas and by different standards for those areas-thats all. I dont necessarilly like the way things are but it is what it is and if you want to hunt you do what you have to do where i live unfortuneately. I paid 5000 bucks to lease property in illinois last year for sole hunting rights and i had people there too that were not suppose to be-like i said unfortuneately its part of the game and its never goin to change so i play by those rules-sorry if that rubs you the wrong way!!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rh160kid
From that very quote you posted it plainly says if unimproved, or and here is the key phrase, "apparently unused" it is not trespassing!! You cannot be arrested or charged with trespassing under these circumstances-thats my point.
It only took me about 2 seconds to see that exemption from NY tresspass laws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.