Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shoot? Or Don't Shoot?  What would you do? >

Shoot? Or Don't Shoot? What would you do?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoot? Or Don't Shoot? What would you do?

Old 08-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by teedub31
I would qualify you as a dumb hunter that set his stand up in a location that effectivly limits the amount of ground you are able to actually hunt. There are situations that maybe hungting a fence line is the only way you can hunt (my situation) but you said you were hunting a mature satnd of timber. In my opinion if a hunter puts his stand in a position where shooting on other property is an option when the hunter had other areas he could have put the stand that would not cause the situation to arise, then he willl most likely intends to take a shot if it is the right deer. You may not like the answer but that is my veiw of human nature.
This morning I've thought about this and was about to say what teedub just said. X2

I have an agreement with my adjoining landowner...No permanent stands within 200 yards of the property line. This was for safety reasons. It also eliminates the "shooting across the line" issue.

In the OP's question, the stand should have never been placed where it was to begin with.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Spike

I would qualify you as a dumb hunter that set his stand up in a location that effectivly limits the amount of ground you are able to actually hunt. There are situations that maybe hungting a fence line is the only way you can hunt (my situation) but you said you were hunting a mature satnd of timber. In my opinion if a hunter puts his stand in a position where shooting on other property is an option when the hunter had other areas he could have put the stand that would not cause the situation to arise, then he willl most likely intends to take a shot if it is the right deer. You may not like the answer but that is my veiw of human nature.
You would need more information in any situation before you label someone a dumb hunter. You don't know what other factors are in play. Not saying your calling anyone a dumb hunter or anything. But I do agree with the last part you said.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

WOW !! Ease up there people ! First, I asked for a simple "Would you shoot or not?". Please read the original question !!!!

This is a hypothetical (that means 'possible' for those who are assuming this has already occurred!) situation with no cause to start flaming someone.

Simply say "No, I wouldn't shoot" . And then feel free to say why. Or say "Yes, I would take the shot". Then explain if you want to.

As stated in original post !!!! WE ALL KNOW WHAT THE RIGHT THING TO DO IS !!

I DON'T NEED AN ETHICS LESSON . BUT A FEW OF YOU COULD USE SOME COMPRHENSION SKILLS.

Remember, this has not happened! It is a completely made-up, but possible, situation. I only want to know how many would take the shot versus how many wouldn't.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

This is not an answer. You did not read the post at all. You scanned it and assumed I was poaching and called me a dumb hunter. Please reread the post and come back when you have something worthwhile to contribute.

Simply " Would you shoot or not? "

If you don't like the situation, then say "No, I wouldn't shoot" And give a little insight.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

not my land I don't shoot. Sometimes even though it's a monster it's fun to watch the grace of the animal.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Magic

In the OP's question, the stand should have never been placed where it was to begin with.

The sitituation I presented to everyone remains as is.

ONLY THE INFORMATION I PROVIDED IS KNOWN !!

If you disagree with the set-up, then say "No, I wouldn't shoot. I would move my stand to a different location to prevent that from happening again". Or " I would not hunt a stand that close to the property line".

PLEASE READ THE ORIGINAL POST BEFORE YOU REPLY !!!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

As the questioned is stated - no. The only way to say yes would to be willing to be a poacher. I am not.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

To answer the original question ..... NO I would NOT shoot ! I don't shoot onto property that I don't have permission to hunt on . I have a conscience ....
Old 08-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a dumb ass question. You are asking a bunch of ethical hunters if they would break the law for a nice dear. Everyone with a brain is going to answer no, they would not take the shot. Even if someone here was dumb enough to take the shot, I doubt he would answer yes in front of his peers. Everyone who has hunted for any length of time at all has had easy shots at illegal animals. You just don't take the shot unless you have zero ethics, you are a complete dumbass or your kids are starving. No, I would not take the shot and I wouldn't hunt with anyone that would.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 08-15-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

I'd say most would probably shoot. I know myself and I know people in general, most people will push the limits of every law out there. Most would hope the buck would turn after being shot and cross the creek but that won't happen. The buck would just either drop there or run off into the trees. I asked myself the question and thought if I did that would I do it over and over until i'm caught. Is one animal worth a lifetime of hunting rights lost?

The answer is no, not if you like to hunt. I see great big monster elk and deer after season and I'm not a poacher because I've been presented with the opportunity to kill monster animals but I can't brag about them nor could I feel good knowing I cheated at the game. Playing hunting chess by all the rules is what makes it a hunt. If it were not for the rules it would be simply shooting to me. I can do that at the range any day of the week. So to me it's all the rules and what if's that make hunting a sport and a challenge.

Meat can be bought at the grocery store.
A nice rack can be acquired from hunting high fenced area's.

So I think it's the game of ethics that gives honest hunters bragging rights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.