Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Success in Canada?

Old 01-24-2002, 10:15 AM
Spike

Default Success in Canada?

I went a a 6 day rifle hunt in Manitoba in November and did not see a single deer!! We had 27 hunters in camp and only 5 bucks were shot, one 19 pt monster, but the rest of the hunters had poor luck also. I was wondering if anyone else had this type of experience. I paid good money and feel my outfitter was not prepared for the hunt due to lack of scouting and poor stand setup. The day we arrived he was out cutting shooting lanes and putting up stands, and I feel this caused a great enough disturbance to notify any mature buck that something was wrong and bypassed this area. Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2002, 10:43 AM

Default RE: Success in Canada?

Deer numbers in Canada are nowhere near what you see in the states! and your lack of sightings really isnt that uncommon. It is likely that if you see a deer it's probably a 50% chance its a buck, 20% you see a trophy.
As for the outfitter, the stands should have been prepared well before the season! This was the worst year in terms of weather I have ever seen, this might have been a factor also!
Old 01-25-2002, 04:06 AM
Spike

In Ontario, we had record highs in October/November, and that played a major part in our deer hunt. Tons of fresh sign, but all done nocturnally.

Can't say to much for the outfitter, cos I don't know what his game plan was, but could there be a chance that he was only putting up stands/doing shooting lanes on newly found sign maybe? If so, did he put anyone onto these stands right away, or did he wait?

Questions, or comments? Please feel free to email me at [email protected]
Old 01-25-2002, 05:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-25-2002, 06:51 AM
Spike

Where in Manitoba was Your Hunt?
Old 01-25-2002, 10:13 AM
Spike

My hunt was in the Interlake region, and I just think that the hunt itself was overpriced, I will say my stay was fine, good food and lodging, but the way they hyped up the hunt and then I saw the way they hunted, I felt ripped off. There was absolutely no scent control what so ever, and poor stand setup. I had a shooting lane of 25 yds. cut out of the bush for me, and I wasn't bow hunting. If a deer had entered the shooting lane, I would have been picked off. If I had one week to scout I feel I could have done a better job. I really would like to go back to Canada and hunt, cause I know there a brutes up there but I am hesitant to fork out that kind of money. It's too bad that you have to go through a guide to get a license and hunt, because if it were a do it yourself job I would go every year.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:31 AM
Spike

Sounds like your outfiter didn't put much effort in your hunt except to take your cash.I have inquired why as a landowner I am not allowed to invite "non resident" hunters to my property. Not much sucess yet, but only time will tell. Did the outfiter set you up on his land or was it "crown "land?
Old 01-25-2002, 03:43 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-26-2002, 02:07 PM

I went to Alberta and shot a 4x5 125 class.I misjudged the rack from behind.Outfitter was great.email me if you would like his number.After I shot mine I had a 150 class 20 yards broad side.Saw several other 160 class bucks after I was done.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Success in Canada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.