Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Before scent elimination products >

Before scent elimination products

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Before scent elimination products

Old 08-12-2009, 07:07 AM

Question Before scent elimination products

So before the invent of scent blocker, scent-a-away, and scent killer products. What products did you guys/gals use on your body and clothes to kept your scent in control before going to the stand or on the hunt?

stacks
Old 08-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Spike

Vanilla extract --way before all the gadgets and gimmicks..still works today.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just stay clean and use the wind to your advantage.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Baking soda, washed my clothes in it. Then i would fill up a giant trash bag with my clothes and add sticks, dirt and leaves and seal it. Worked well then and now.

I fell for alot of products in the beginning but scent lok and scent blocker, are all a joke, if you look at it from a scientific view. I do use cover scents now though, but baking soda is still the best for washing clothes if you ask me,,and the cheapest.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do today what I have been doing since I began hunting many years ago.

I wash my clothes in baking soda and store them in a plastic container with leaves, twigs, dirt, etc from the area.

I try to keep myself clean and never use any sweet smelling soap or shampoo.

And, most importantly, I always hunt the wind the best I can and will hunt high above the forest floor to help keep my scent above the deer's nose.

I have no use for cover scents, scent blockers, scent attractants, etc. To me, it's all a marketing ploy to get more money from hunters. If you are upwind of any deer, you're busted every time. If you're downwind, a deer should not smell you. He may hear you or see you but not smell you.

To think you can fool a deer's nose by using a scent eliminator, is seriously underestimating the deer's sense of smell.

That being said, if you think it works for you, I highly suggest you continue to use it.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Spike

I have never been able to control the wind,so thats were something as simple as vanilla extract comes into play.Its been working since the 60's for me and back as far as the 20's and 30's for my grandfather.. etc etc.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

We used cover scents like apple, doe in heat or fox urine. Also stored my clothes with pine needles about a week before the hunt. Always played the wind. Still do even with scent blocker. Nothing is 100%.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 AM

Yeap, Jimmy S and crenshaw i've never wasted my money on laundry soaps, baking soda and a plastic bag with limbs and leaves has always worked for me. And of course playing the wind is the best scent elimination.

How bout body soaps many years ago I hunted with a hunting club and they swore by Ivory soap to shower with, because it was none scented. Well i bought some the other day to use and it kinda has a smell but it does seem to evporate after a while compared to other soaps. Has anybody else tried Irovy before or another type of body soap that not made by a hunting company? (just tring to save some dollars)

Rodngun~ I've never heard of using vanilla sound interesting. Go to show you learn somthing new everyday!

stacks
Old 08-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by stacks
Yeap, Jimmy S and crenshaw i've never wasted my money on laundry soaps, baking soda and a plastic bag with limbs and leaves has always worked for me. And of course playing the wind is the best scent elimination.

How bout body soaps many years ago I hunted with a hunting club and they swore by Ivory soap to shower with, because it was none scented. Well i bought some the other day to use and it kinda has a smell but it does seem to evporate after a while compared to other soaps. Has anybody else tried Irovy before or another type of body soap that not made by a hunting company? (just tring to save some dollars)

Rodngun~ I've never heard of using vanilla sound interesting. Go to show you learn somthing new everyday!

stacks
Old school right there..some will read that and laugh,,but actually its been used since the 20's and none the wiser.But I hear some company actually caught on and started to bottle it for the general public..not sure who..but like those sitting back laughing --I do the same thing with all the new gadgets and gimmicks that are out there today..heads up--if you take your wife's jar she uses for cooking-she will miss it...dont go there.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jimmy S

I have no use for cover scents, scent blockers, scent attractants, etc. To me, it's all a marketing ploy to get more money from hunters. If you are upwind of any deer, you're busted every time.
I've got to disagree with you here. You are not busted every time. I'm living proof of this. I've been upwind of many deer without being busted. I believe scent free soap and detergent do help. Not everything is a gimmick. I still do use weeds, dirt, and pine needles like I always have. This combined with the soap and detergent have made me pretty successful. Yes, it helps to hunt the wind, but the wind is usually variable, changing directions at any time. I'm prepared when this happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.