Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Ammo

Old 08-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Spike

Default New Ammo

What do yall think about this new round is it going to be close to Barnes TSX or is this just a new and improved waste of time? I know you get what you pay for but if it is good ammo it is alot cheaper than Barnes. What do yall think? Winchester Super-X Power Max Ammunition 270 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) 130 Grain Bonded Protected Hollow Point
Old 08-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Spike

Looks like all the other manufactures are trying to keep up with the performance and popularity of the Nosler Acuubond.Kinda like Hornady and all the others did when Nosler came out with the Ballistic tips...now look at how many companies manufacture a bullet with a plastic tip..they pretty much all do--just using a different name for the bullets.

Edit: ps ; performance of the bullet upon impact will tell the story on the success of the bullet.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I baught some for my 270 and 30-30. The 270 shoots an inch eassliy and I haven't tried the 30-30 yet. The real test will be on game though and with 2 1/2 boxes in reserve I will find the answer tot hat question this season. I read on another forum about a guy using the 30-30 vestion them on on hogs and axis with devistating DRT results and good exits.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Barnes makes awesome bullets. They expand perfectly and retain pretty much all their weight. Plus, they have no lead. I love their muzzleloader bullets.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Spike

I've bought multiple boxes of the Winchester Power Max Bonded ammunition and Federal Fusion, considering both bullets have a very similar design/bullet construction. They are both 150gr loads for the .30-06. I plan on testing both loads for accuracy and bullet performance shot into some form of test media for recovery. Then using on their intended game of choice - deer. All the reviews I've read concerning both of these bullets are quite impressive when it comes to in field use on deer size game. The way I look at it is if any company can develop a more affordable bullet that performs as good as more costly premium bullets, then its just that much more competition and helps to pull prices down of the more expensive ammo if that company wants to compete for sales.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

Some people must shoot ALOT! If you shoot your big-game rifles enough that ammo costs make THAT big of a difference then you REALLY should be reloading. As much as a season of deer hunting costs, I can't see how an extra $20-$50 a year for prem vs cheap ammo can really make that much difference?

I've been a "Barnesophile" for well over a decade & don't pan on changing... UNLESS Remington starts messing with the recipe at Barnes in the future (they bought Barnes in '09) A decade ago "polymer tips" & bonded bullets were all the rage in bullets. Now the rage is monolithics like (like Barnes has been building for decades) & you can find them from essentially every maker. Nosler has the "E-tip" & Hornady their "GMX".

If you're wanting premium performance on a cheaper budget then look at the loadings Hornady has in their GMX lineup. They are doing a mighty good job of keeping their prices reasonable while everyone else seems to be in a price raising race!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

apparently people think deer are getting harder to kill as the years go buy. i hunt deer with a patch and ball out of my flintlock, and normal ammo from my .270. Go pick up a box of Remington core lokts.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
apparently people think deer are getting harder to kill as the years go buy. i hunt deer with a patch and ball out of my flintlock, and normal ammo from my .270. Go pick up a box of Remington core lokts.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Spike

Quickly , I hear they are good bullets . Barnes and Hornady are Both Very Good !
Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
Finally! Someone with a good head on there shoulders!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.