Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Who cant handle gutting a deer? >

Who cant handle gutting a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who cant handle gutting a deer?

Old 08-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sauer06
Excellent response! If you do not have some one to field dress a deer for you and you can't do it your self you should not be hunting big game.
Doug Olwin
Why should you not hunt big game if you do not gut the animal? What is the big reason for this statement?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sauer06
Excellent response! If you do not have some one to field dress a deer for you and you can't do it your self you should not be hunting big game.
Doug Olwin
By that theory, young kids shouldn't learn to hunt if someone won't do everything for them. As I've stated, and I think it's been stated by others, some choose not to. My reasoning is that I live within 10minutes of two processors, so I don't have to bother and don't unless it's gut-shot.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Spike

Been pulling and delivering animals around the farm since I was old enough to remember. Gutting anything never bothered me... trapping and skinning probably didn't hurt either. Here in Ohio we could only shoot one deer (buck or doe) for the longest time. It was very bittersweet... if I was guttin' one that meant I was successful, at the same time when I was guttin' one, I knew my hunting season was over!
My kids like to help me gut my deer, (8, 6 and 4) so I get them home ASAP (usually under an hour) and they like to watch and ask me what organs are what. When I shot my last buck in Jan, when I told the kids I was headed out to gut my deer, my 4 year old daughter ran in the kitchen and grabbed a plastic serving spoon. She was "going to help Daddy take the guts out!" Everyone got a kick out of that... here's a pick of her that evening... plastic spoon and all! Season only a few weeks away.. I'm pumped!
Attached Thumbnails Who cant handle gutting a deer?-mariah-gutting-.jpg  
Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

It doesn't bother me, I just really suck at it. But I do it.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've always had a problem with doctors, needles, blood. I have fainted more than once during health lessons on the circulatory system at school when I was a kid. I made a true believer out of my sixth grade science teacher about my problem when I passed out during a film. That year, I took my test on that part of the test out on the playground. I explained how the circulatory system worked with all it's parts. If I got in the class room setting, I had a problem with it. He learned that I probably understood it better than any other kid and I got an A.

I always loved to hunt. When I was a kid, I worried about what I was going to do when I had to field dress my first deer. My dad helped me with the first one, and I was so excited about that deer I guess it overcame the problem I had with the blood. That was the only one I have had any help with, and now it is just routine.

To this day, I can gut, skin, and quarter a deer, but I can't give my dog a shot. I know it sounds silly, but it is a real problem.

C. Davis
Old 08-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Work on the highway for a couple summers pulling deer off the road that have layed there for 3 days in 90 degree heat and that little bit of smell from gutting wont bother ya a bit. And not being able to stand the sight of it, well try grabbing a hold of a deer thats solid green in color and covered in "white rice". LOL
Old 08-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Typical Buck

Geez, some of you guys act like you arent even considered a "real man" unless you can bite the belly open with your teeth, eat the heart, blow your nose with the liver and floss your teeth with the guts! I have no probs gutting deer but some guys just cant stand the smell or sight of it. Its all good long as were all hunting guys. No use in calling anyone a wuss because they dont or cant gut a deer, thats just nonsense. Id be glad to help anyone to has troulble gutting a deer. Were all on the same team here.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Anthony T.
Geez, some of you guys act like you arent even considered a "real man" unless you can bite the belly open with your teeth, eat the heart, blow your nose with the liver and floss your teeth with the guts! I have no probs gutting deer but some guys just cant stand the smell or sight of it. Its all good long as were all hunting guys. No use in calling anyone a wuss because they dont or cant gut a deer, thats just nonsense. Id be glad to help anyone to has troulble gutting a deer. Were all on the same team here.
Blow your nose with the liver? Now that's funny.

I'm going to have to try that one.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by NC Buck Slayer
I can skin one all day long, but when it comes to gutting, I cant stomach it. I can watch it, but I just cant get in there and do it.
i dress mine no problem. nothing like the heat from a deer on a cold day. if its because of the smell try covering your nose with a rag or something. if its the fact that youre cutting it i'd say get some really good friends! lol bribe them into doing it
Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Why should you not hunt big game if you do not gut the animal? What is the big reason for this statement?
anyone that says this care to answer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.