Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Who cant handle gutting a deer? >

Who cant handle gutting a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who cant handle gutting a deer?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NC Buck Slayer
what if you are by yourself and you take a deer at dusk. do you gut the deer in the dark in the middle of the woods? even with a flashlight laying on the ground, i would imagine it would be pretty hard to see.
Get yourself a LED headlamp. Very inexpensive and works great
Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I've gutted gut shot deer while drinking a beer and eating a potted meat and sardine sandwich, don't bother me.
You must be a health nut & in fantastic shape!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by NC Buck Slayer
I can skin one all day long, but when it comes to gutting, I cant stomach it. I can watch it, but I just cant get in there and do it.
if you cant gut your deer your not a real hunter thats just what ive been told no offense to uguys

Last edited by 09monsterbuckmaster; 08-14-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

My father-in-law. He just shoots and my husband and I go find it, gut it, and butcher it. We have stopped hunting with him because of his lack of ethics when it comes to what he shoots and his refusal to engage in scent control.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by johnandmare
My father-in-law. He just shoots and my husband and I go find it, gut it, and butcher it. We have stopped hunting with him because of his lack of ethics when it comes to what he shoots and his refusal to engage in scent control.
I might let him pull that crap once if he had a decent excuse, but after that I'd tell him to recover the deer or I'll have the DNR do it for him. If you won't recover the animal, you have absolutely no business shooting it.

Mike
Old 08-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where do I start here..lol. First of all Im terribly allergic to deer dander. However... I love deer meat and deer hunting so I suck it up and sling snot, gag and sneeze as I go..lol. As far as the weak stomach... no big deal. I usually pass out at the sight of blood unless its mine. However I have gutted so many deer I can literally do it without looking at the deer. Sounds far fetched but anyone thats done a bunch of them can do it the same way.

I usually watch around the woods while gutting and usually am done an dragging in less than 10 minutes. Theres no way in heck in dragging a deer with the guts in it where I hunt. As far as gutting in the dark.....not a problem...

I cant stand the sight of blood and Im even allergic to the damn things but I suck it up and do it because it MUST be done. I love deer hunting enough to get over it. Noone else touches a deer I kill unless they help me drag as I do it all from the shot to the freezer myself. Better quality control that way.....lol.

There are a couple of parts to the deal I really really enjoy. Nothing better to warm your hands up on a frosty or snowy day. The other thing is the smell... as several of the other guys have said. Deer guts smell like victory! LOL It is the capper of an outstanding ending to a wonderful outing.

Bottom line... if you like something enough you'll learn not to sweat the details!
Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 09monsterbuckmaster
if you cant gut your deer your not a real hunter thats just what ive been told no offense to uguys
I can build my own deer stands, take apart all my firearms and put them back together, load my own ammo, and all kinds of hunting related stuff that a lot of people cant do. Ill be damned is someone is going to tell me that Im not a real hunter just because I dont like to guy my own deer.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was just discussing this topic with a friend the other day. I'll tell you what I told him. I could gut a deer then make myself a sandwich and eat it without washing my hands! The smell never really bothered me. Some of the gut shot deer left overnight get a bit smelly but that's hunting! If you want to talk about a nasty job, Changing crappy diapers! That is 1000 times worse then gutting a deer.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by magicman54494
If you want to talk about a nasty job, Changing crappy diapers! That is 1000 times worse then gutting a deer.
I'll mail you one, Jake has just turned 3 and has yet gone poop in the potty like Elmo!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, I'll add my 2 cents. First off, get those guts out asap and get the brisket opened up so it can cool down. Field dressing is part of the hunt, roll up your sleeves and put on the latex gloves. I've done so many deer, hogs, elk, moose and bear I can do it without a flashlight, come to think of it I've done that too. The only thing I'm concerned with when field dressing is a bear coming in on me. I don't want to spend any more time around that gut pile than I have too.
The gut pile doesn't even make it through the night around here.
Get tough and deal with it.

Bobby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.