Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Who cant handle gutting a deer? >

Who cant handle gutting a deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who cant handle gutting a deer?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
All the butcher shops I know would kick you in the nuts and then charge you double if you brought them a deer with the guts still in it. What are they going to do with all the guts? Especially on opening day of gun season when there could be 100 deer in front of yours. It may sit there with the guts in it for 24 hours or more.

I don't mind gutting as long as I keep the smell to a minimum. As mentioned before, get upwind of it.

Coyotes smell worse.

My butcher charges $10.00 extra just to cut the butt out if you don't do it.He will not take a non-gutted deer in.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

I dig around in Septic tanks sometimes in my line of work, now to some that is some stank! Just Think of it as wiping your own butt!ha Since you asked though I think its rediculous that someone hunts and cant stomach gutting a deer!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Cannonw24
I dig around in Septic tanks sometimes in my line of work, now to some that is some stank! Just Think of it as wiping your own butt!ha Since you asked though I think its rediculous that someone hunts and cant stomach gutting a deer!
there's probably a few things about you that i would consider ridiculous. I might not like gutting the deer, but it gets done regardless. just because i dont gut the deer myself dont mean that im an unethical hunter. you can call my a pansy all you want but as long as I stay ethical, thats all that matters to me.

some people just have weak stomachs including myself. guts just get to me. some say its part of the hunt, but for me it aint. im not gonna let not wanting to gut a deer keep me from hunting.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NC Buck Slayer
there's probably a few things about you that i would consider ridiculous. I might not like gutting the deer, but it gets done regardless. just because i dont gut the deer myself dont mean that im an unethical hunter. you can call my a pansy all you want but as long as I stay ethical, thats all that matters to me.

some people just have weak stomachs including myself. guts just get to me. some say its part of the hunt, but for me it aint. im not gonna let not wanting to gut a deer keep me from hunting.

I agree dont let anybody tell you different. If you just cant do it dont worrry as long as it gets done and you dont waste the meat.
Is it the smell or the visual that get to you ?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by NC Buck Slayer

Hahaha! thats all i gotta say. o yea and you must have some good buddys!
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning - - - smells like.......VICTORY!
X2, I'v actually grown to like the smell, lol.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes I'll put down my sandwich until I get done.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

I never said I can't, I said I don't because I don't have to. It isn't rocket science, anyone can gut a deer. I have a 9yo that grew up on the fishing pier. At 4, he was cutting bait and slicing mullet to use for bottom fishing. At 6, he could filet a flounder so good you could read a newspaper through what was left. At 7, he was steaking out King Mackeral and fileting the tails. Afterward, he'd dissect what was left and check the stomach contents for what it had been feeding on so we'd know the best bait to use. After that, he'd pull the eyes and get the"crystals" out. A simple example, but it makes sense. Gutting a deer isn't all that hard, anyone can do it.

This same argument was on here last year a month or so before the seasons began to start. It's the same way it was then. Why does anyone care if someone else does or doesn't gut a deer? They do or they don't, but there isn't any reason to take it personal. With stand theives, trespassing, poaching, unethical hunting..etc...aren't the more important things to worry about rather than what "Johnny" does between the time he recovers his dead deer and eats it?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

I started hunting when i was 12, got my first deer that year. My dads way was, 1st deer he guts, i watch. 2nd deer I have a hand in it, 3rd deer is all me. I've since gotten 7 deer on my own, the first few were just hack jobs that had to take half hour to do, one not great shot took about 40 min. I must say i had to take an "air" break once or twice that time. Since though, I got fairly good at it, i still can't understand how it takes people 5 minutes though, I probably average 20, I would love a 10-15 job

As far as butchers and gutting goes, down here if Im lazy and take to a processor they'll charge extra if the anal tract is even left in. THere's no way in hell they take an ungutted deer
Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

to say that i cannot handle it is an overstatement. do i like it or enjoy it, absolutely not. but i can stomach it. for me the problem is the texture not the smell. but once you get in there its no real big deal. like others have said just a part of hunting. if you cant clean it dont shoot it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.