Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Who cant handle gutting a deer? >

Who cant handle gutting a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who cant handle gutting a deer?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

I guess im gonna need to suck it up and get in there and do it. As with most things, I guess after suffer through it the first couple of time it doesnt bother you anymore.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Beezer
Toss it in the back of the pick-up and drive it to the processor. Or, if I choose to, I can load it on the Honda Rancher and run it through the woods to the other processor. One is 6 miles down the main road and the other is 1 mile as the crow flies through the woods. Since I hunt the area around my house, I'm never more than a short drag to the road and one call from having a ride meet me there.

Either way, it isn't a matter of can't..it's a matter of don't have to. I just don't bother because I don't have to. If the deer is gutshot then I will to preserve the meat, that's a given. But the processor doesn't charge and it takes as long to dress and bury the gutpile as it does to get to the processor.
Beezer,
Why do you bury the gut pile?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't stand to gut a deer? Maybe you sissies should take up crocheting.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

doesnt bother me. The only time I dont like it is if the knife hits the stomach. Then it SUCKS. LOL.. Then I just move to the upwind side of the deer :P
Old 08-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
Field dressing a deer is all part of the hunt. Once that deer is down, it must be dressed asap to cool it down. I have never met anyone who was not able to field drees his/her own deer.

For some, it may not be the most pleasant experince, but it must be done. There's no way around it. Make sure you know what you're doing, ask if you don't, then suck it up and do the right thing.
Ive field dressed deer for a few people... (beginners). BUT I told them to watch very carefully because theyre doing it next time. And of course I made them help me too :P
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Toss it in the back of the pick-up and drive it to the processor.
All the butcher shops I know would kick you in the nuts and then charge you double if you brought them a deer with the guts still in it. What are they going to do with all the guts? Especially on opening day of gun season when there could be 100 deer in front of yours. It may sit there with the guts in it for 24 hours or more.

I don't mind gutting as long as I keep the smell to a minimum. As mentioned before, get upwind of it.

Coyotes smell worse.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a problem doing it and have before, but in most cases I don't have to. I can get everything off of the deer that I want without going in, unless I feel like ribs.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Spike

Nothing smells worse than gutting a rabbit. I'd rather clean a deer than a cottontail. While I don't find it pleasant, I have no problem cleaning a deer. I'm also planning on butchering/processing it for the first time this year.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

I always gutted em for my dad when i was younger.. i have no problem with it... and always wanted to do it... And then i taught my lil brother, now he does it more so then i, but i have no problem doing it..I am always the one to do it for a cape job though.. which is 90% of the bucks..
Old 08-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
All the butcher shops I know would kick you in the nuts and then charge you double if you brought them a deer with the guts still in it. What are they going to do with all the guts? Especially on opening day of gun season when there could be 100 deer in front of yours. It may sit there with the guts in it for 24 hours or more.

I don't mind gutting as long as I keep the smell to a minimum. As mentioned before, get upwind of it.

Coyotes smell worse.
That's just what I was thinking, too. In fact, both the meat lockers I've used to process deer in the past won't accept a deer for processing unless it is field dressed. Show up with an undressed deer and they'll turn you away. I've seen both have at least 50 deer stacked in their walk-in cooler waiting to be hung up. They don't have time to gut deer, and they surely don't want an undressed deer sitting around for a couple days before they can get to it.

I can't believe the nancy boys we got around here. If you're a new hunter I'd help you gut your first deer, with you being "hands-on" for the whole process. After that, I don't care how bad it smells, here's a knife, get to work.

Either way, it isn't a matter of can't..it's a matter of don't have to. I just don't bother because I don't have to. If the deer is gutshot then I will to preserve the meat, that's a given. But the processor doesn't charge and it takes as long to dress and bury the gutpile as it does to get to the processor.
I, too, am curious why you bother to bury your gut pile? Gut piles make excellent coyote bait.

As for getting what you want without gutting, what about the tenderloins and much of the flank/rump. I don't understand how you can skin the deer and cut out a lot of the usable meat without opening the chest and abdominal cavity. Also, doesn't your state have a "waste of game" law? Iowa surely does. If you get caught intentionally leaving any significant portion of edible meat in the field, the DNR will smack you with a big ticket. Something to consider.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.